Double glazing and net curtains

Ask the installers to do it for you. They're probably used to fitting blinds for an extra cuppa. Short screws are unlikely to interfere with the internal door mechanisms, but the fitters should know for sure.

Reply to
stuart noble

OK thanks for the advice Stuart, I'll have a word with them when there here, thanks everybody

Jim

Reply to
Jim

From long term experience I know that the 3M Command brand sticky pad strips are excellent for net curtains on plastic window frames. Buy standard net curtain telescopic rods of the lightweight variety with a rectangular cross-section about 12mm deep, and standard matching self-adhesive supports. Remove the self-adhesive pads that are on these supports when you buy them, and replace with the 3M Command sticky pads. These pads have held up my curtain rod supports for years without any problem. The 3M pads have a tab which you can pull to remove the pads whenever you want. The pads need to be cut to size, and the window frame needs to be well de-greased with, e.g. alcohol. Pad 17021P Medium will hold a claimed 450g, pad 17023P Large 2kg.

Anode

Reply to
Anode

The double glazing bloke will put a couple of screws into the plastic if you ask him. He did for me. They seem to know how to do it... You just hook the curtain wire over the hooks.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

They just drill a pilot hole. I would think for small screw eyes a 1mm jobber bit from TS would be about right.

Reply to
stuart noble

Bollocks.

20 years ago I had double glazing fitted. The wife was giving me hammer about her bloody stupid net curtains so I asked the guy. He sank a screw into each end of the plastic. The curtain wire hooked on to the screws and as far as I know it is still there. No pilot holes, no 1mm jobber bit from TS. Who the f*ck is TS?
Reply to
Mr Pounder

I believe hooks and eyes are the norm but by all means use screws, or coach bolts, if you prefer

Reply to
stuart noble

I used two white cup hooks screwed into the upper reveal (drilled and rawplugged) and then the extending rail fitted/dropped into them very nicely. The glued ones came unstuck. The screws into frame eventually loosened. The hooks into side wall came out with wires pulling on them. Cup hooks having no real pressure on them have worked well and it's very easy to remove the rail and curtain for washing.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk