Door woes

You could try to investigate why it is stuck, and get it open yourself (DIY, if you will). Have you tried applying pressure? Does it move at all? Have you tried pulling it up/down? Did this happen suddenly, or did it gradually get more difficult to open?

Reply to
Grunff

I have a UPVc door that is stuck shut - not locked, just stuck! now - do I call a locksmith? or do I call someone who repairs UPVc doors/windows and if so what type of company do I look for in yellow pages - our local UPVc window supplier only supplies and fits new and doesn't repair ....

TIA

Stu

Reply to
Lu

It happened suddenly - no warning. have tried applying pressure and it doesn't budge at all. the lock works ok and we can hear the bolts shooting home when key is turned, but once unlocked the door just won;t be puched open.....Odd - very odd and extrenely frustrating!

Stu

Reply to
Lu

If you apply pressure to different parts is there any movement? Some have adjustable catches, and one may have come loose and isn't freeing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's usually the handle up and down that engages/disengages the bolts, and the key just prevents the handle moving. If the key turns, the bolts are functioning properly, which suggests a good shove from the outside would free the door. Maybe you can get somebody both sides to pull the door towards the hinges as you push. The door I looked at recently has "lay on" hinges with lift up covers. If you loosen the screws inside, the door should move freely, but then you'll have to re-hang it from scratch. I'd pack the door/frame gap with strips of

2mm mdf or similar, close the door, lock it, tighten the screws, remove strips. I didn't do this because the installation was still under guarantee. I hear the fitter spent 45 mins on it, and it still isn't quite "right". My hunch is the hinges can't really take the weight of a 6' 6 x 2' 6 door.
Reply to
stuart noble