Door Closer removal - chain type

Hi,
I'm having some carpets fitted in a new flat and the fitters have said they cant take the internal doors off as they dont know how to remove and refit the chain type door closers. I cant believe they have never dealt with these before.
These are the things in between the hinges, where a bit of chain links the door to the frame, and pulls the door shut.
There is an example at
http://www.fixandmend.co.uk/Chulmleigh/585.jpg
Having looked at one, it seems that you undo the plate from the door frame, to take it off, and just rescrew it to put it back on.
Am I right?
I am also wondering if there may some tension which makes it difficult to refit?
Any help gratefully accepted.
--
Richard Faulkner

A better example is at:
http://www.samuel-heath.com/r1r2.htm#sitework
The Perko Door Closer

--
Richard Faulkner

Use a nail or small Allen key through the chain to stop it from retracting when you unscrew the plate on the frame.
--

Regards

John

"Richard Faulkner" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.estate.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Good idea! I'll have a look tomorrow.
--
Richard Faulkner

says...

Hi All,
The chain type door closer that I recently fitted came with a short steel rod about 2mm diameter and 50mm long which you use to jam in between the chain links. It has a small bend about 15 mm from one end, this is not critical but helps you handle it.
I hope that this helps.
Ian.
says...

I made one up from steel strip, but anything that will hold the chain in the extended position will do. Do make sure that whatever you use cannot slip off, as refitting one where the chain has retracted is guaranteed to produce some choice words.
Colin Bignell

I've used a nail in each one. The tension is such that it should take a hell of a blow for them to come out - I hope <g>
--
Richard Faulkner