Dook knob too close to frame

I am fitting new interior doors, and want to use an oval brass knob rather than a handle.

The problem I'm having is that even with a 3" tubular latch lock (don't need a key lock), the handle is so close to the frame that there's no room for one's hand between the knob and the frame when turning the knob.

I have looked around for longer locks, but have not had any luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ro

Reply to
Ro

We have that problem om one door . SWMBO and her builder insisted on fiting rhe ball shaped handle. Skins the knuckles od the unwary.

Would a strong ball catch or similiar suit? Tyen the handle could be placed where suited

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

This is a common prob and is due to the fact that modern door manufacturers prefer a short backset mortice lock because it is easier to fit and fits a door with a narrow stile and no traditional lock rail. Backset is the distance from door edge to centre of knob spindle - in older doors this can be 4 inches or more, setting the lock well back on to the lock rail (the wide horizontal piece near the middle of the door) but giving plenty of clearance for the knob. This might not be possible on a modern door which is why they have so-called "georgian" style lever handles instead of knobs. You can still buy long backset locks and latches and if you can't fit one you could try a rim lock instead - i.e. the traditional lock in a box mounted on the surface, not in a mortice.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

Exactly the same for me! (No wifey, but knuckles, sure.) To me the aesthetic of the knob versus handle was far more important than a bit of skin. You just learn after a while to hold the knob in a kind of "open" fashion - so that the hand slips off in good time just when the door frame is reached.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Mine are so bad that the knob itself is rubbing the frame. It's an oval knob with a pretty long stem.

I think I've found a sloution. I found some longer locks at

.

I'll report back on how it goes.

Ro

Reply to