New Interior doors to paint?

I bought some new interior doors to paint white. They are the six panel type. This is new to me. I was wondering what kind of paint or sealer to use? If I can even use spray paint? We have a water cooler and wonder about the wood warping? Thank you Ryan snipped-for-privacy@c-zone.net

Reply to
ryan

You need to use primer first. Kilz is the most popular brand. You can get primer in a spray can, too. I don't think there's much difference.

After you apply the primer and let it dry, you can paint the doors any way you want to.

8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail) ~~~~~~

"I reserve the absolute right to be smarter today than I was yesterday." -Adlai Stevenson

*************************************************Due to the receipt of unmanagable amounts of SPAM, I have had to add an extra letter to my e-mail address. Remove the "x" to contact me directly.
Reply to
Suzie-Q

Spray paint from a can is an awful choice for a door. It dries fast and runs; very difficult to get even coverage.

Reply to
RamblinOn

I prefer brushes but that is a personal preference.

Your first step is to mount the doors, unpainted. That way you won't need to do any trimming after you have painted them.

Then remove all the hardware and apply a primer. I put the door on blocks and do one side (don't forget to do the edges too, and top and bottom. Actually, spraying into the latch assembly opening is probably a good idea; a brush wouldn't work there. Let it dry, then turn it over and do the other side. Be careful when you do the edges that you don't get so much paint on that it forms drips on the bottom. If it does, you can always sand them easily.

Then repeat the painting steps with your final coats, with a light sanding between coats if you are doing multiple coats.

Let it dry again and put on the hardware and mount it. Be sure it is very dried before putting on the hardware, or it will be hard to remove it later.

Warp> I bought some new interior doors to paint white. They are the six panel

Reply to
William Brown

Reply to
ryan

preprimed, metal or fiberglass. If they are raw wood I would prime but not with Kilz. There are much better primers that are easier to work with than Kilz. Ben Moore's Fresh Start is a much more user friendly primer. If the door is already primed two coats of your finish paint is all that is necessary. Please define the type of door you have and its finish so that you may get the best answers.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey