Donkey power?

"Herdsmen in Turkey are tethering solar panels to their donkeys to power their internet sessions."

Is this for real? It looks awfully staged and the journalist says that they can generate 5-7 kW from a panel.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Fuck off !!! 5 watts maybe. 50 at a pinch. But 5,000 ?

Does the journalist want to buy a bridge ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In article , Tim+ scribeth thus

Well knowing how Jurno's can make of bish of tech subjects;!..

Is that poor Donkey TN-C-S TN-S or just 4 x T earthed;?....

Reply to
tony sayer

Maybe all the herdsmen in Turkey generate a total of 5kW

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I didn't know donkeys could use the internet. Progress!

Reply to
Davey

you can in bright midday sun get about a couple of KW/sq m.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You obviouslsy haven't discovered twitter....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

maybe he popped into maplin

looks about right physical size, but could a heardsman afford or justify such apurchase, especailly as he needa a UPS or/inverter

Reply to
whisky-dave

I'm reporting you to the RSPCA!

Reply to
PeterC

You are correct, and I have absolutely no intention of ever being a Twit, either.

Reply to
Davey

I thought that was just intheory, trouble with midday is the high temerature reduces cell efficaincy.

I've seen those of about 1 m^2 on bus stops I doubt they get above 100W they power a few advertising panels at most.

Reply to
whisky-dave

There's probably one somewhere that can. I'm guessing the interview was done over a lavish lunch at the journo's expense, then the pic was taken wtih a borrowed panel.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Only if you can keep the panel pointed in the right direction. And bearing in mind the panel is around 12% efficient.

Reply to
harryagain

Total bollix. That panel might generate 30w so long as it was kept pointing at the sun.

Reply to
harryagain

No they just put the decimal point in the wrong place. I'd have thought a Donkey treadmill might have been more worthwhile. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So you live on planet mercury then? grin.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Nope, but I do know about insolation and renewable energy

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You sure about that? IIRC the sun only sends us 1kW...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Ahbut, this is *green* maths and physics.

Reply to
John Williamson

Umm. You are in fact correct.

Peak insolation is almost exactly that for surface perpendicular to suns rays.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher