Domestic heating oil - tanks - install - oil price

Seems that heating oil has shot up from some 45p we paid a moth ago to

70p+ now, according to our usual supplier. The pain in the dong is that the previous owner of this house had to replace the old metal tank (started leaking) just before we exchanged. Pity he didn't discuss with us, we'd have happily paid the extra to get a 2500ltr installed instead of the measly 1000 we've got now.

So, we're looking to do something about it. Anyone know if it's permitted to have a second tank in a domestic installation, if there's any size limits, or any issues with connecting up the feed pipes (I'd put the second one next to the first)? I'm imagining the second tank having no measurement device, and just letting gravity equalise the levels between the tanks.

I'll be talking to building control, but wondered if anyone had any experience of the situation.

Reply to
Tim Streater

IIRC, the upper limit for domestic installs, without special fire/ pollution precautions, is 10,000 litres - assuming you can meet minimum distance rules from buildings and boundaries.

Due to the extreme lack of space on my plot, and needing a bunded tank (which you may need too, not sure when the legislation cuts in) - I very nearly bought a 1000 litre tank - but my installer managed to find a 1250 litre that would just fit - makes all the difference to be able to get the bulk discount, but not be at a low-oil crisis point.

Check out

for lots of regulation info.

I can't comment on whatever are the approved arrangements for paralleling up tanks.

Reply to
dom

I think all new installs have to be bunded, replacement/additional not sure.

several .pdf's relating to pipes and tanks. There appears to be a break point at 3,500l for single family dwellings.

The biggest problem that I can for see is a filling one. Making sure that the connection between the tanks is big enough for the levels to equalise fast enough.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Cheers - I'll will indeed.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Thanks also.

I was imagining turning off the tap at each tank, and then just having the guy fill up both tanks. Then open them again.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not AFAIK. We had a new tank earlier this year, but we had to have a bunded one anyway since we have a well in our garden. The (Oftec registered) installer said that otherwise we didn't need a bunded tank.

Reply to
Huge

See here:

We are in an area of ONB and so will need a bunded tank. Looks like, rather as with double-glazing, a certified company can self-certify and avoid BC needing to be involved. I'll prolly contact an installer to come out and discuss it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I was quite happy with the chap who did ours;

Huge

P.S. I wouldn't have a plastic tank. Our new steel one was cheaper than plastic, anyway.

Reply to
Huge

Not idiot proof. OK if you are in and can supervise the delivery or the delivery driver knows your installation. But it doesn't protect against a newbie or just stupid/distracted operator just merryly pumping your 2000l order into a 1000l tank ("I thought they were connected out of sight")...

Not sure what the delivery rate is but it's in the order of several litres/second. It wouldn't take long for there to be a helluva mess even if the operative was stood next to the hose and shut it off PDQ...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is that just the theft aspect or something else?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Sigh ...

Yes, you're right, of course. I'll see what the installation guys have to say. Perhaps they'll take the old tank in part-ex.

Reply to
Tim Streater

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Streater saying something like:

Fwiw, I've seen numerous plastic tanks that split across the top - not very UV resistant, is my guess. The split allows leakage if it goes low enough and certainly allows rain in.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Actually, theft hadn't even occured to me; it was the UV degradation and the fact there's a fair amount of shooting near me, and a shotgun pellet would go straight through a plastic tank.

Reply to
Huge

I wouldn't have a steel one.

So there's two sides to that, too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No it wouldn't

damhikt..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How would they find out if you didn't tell them?

Reply to
Fred

I can't remember the context of this remark now, but we do have someone who works in Planning living across the field from us.

Reply to
Tim Streater