Does 'no more nails' = 'no more cable grips'?

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
just starting to fix some telephone (and ADSL) cable into a cavity behind a skirting board.
The litttle cable grips may be fine on wood but they are not much use on brick with mortar joints.
Any reason not to use 'no more nails' or similar?
The main concern is that it may leach chemicals out of the sheathing, making the cable brittle.
Any other suggestions for a 'dab and fix' material for this?
TIA
Dave R

Thay've always worked OK for me, the nails are supposed to be masonry nails.

Do you need to fix them at all?

behind a

*** 2.5mm sq clips work fine - big clips, big nails. the tiny ones for telephone cable also have dinky litle nails these don't really hack it as masonary nails
****

making
Yes, I do - the skirting boards are removable so there is a big risk of trapping cables when putting the skirtings on and off. The cable also goes round two sides of a room so there is the natural tendency to migrate into the centre of the room.
Cheers Dave R

Use 2.5mm sq clips then, you can put two or three cables under the clip to economise!

My bricks, which disintegrate when attempting to hammer in a clip can be done by drilling a 10mm deep hole with a 2-3mm masonry bit, provided it isn't near the edge of the brick. The mortar is crumbly as hell. Not a hope of using it.
Christian.

hope
Nice tip!
Drilling a pilot hole for part of the nail length allows the nail to grip in the last bit without bending and without shattering the brick.
So now I am sorted for my 2.5mm flat and 5mm round clips.
No change in the little clips though :-(
Cheers Dave R
Christian McArdle wrote:

Something I have found very handy on odd occasions in the past is a box of "pin plugs" - not sure where I got them from, but I bought a box years ago. The ones I have are made by Tower.
They are like small white hard plastic wall plugs with a smaller hole than you would have for a screw type wall plug. You drill a 5mm hole and insert said plug and then nail into it. They work very well for cable clips into surfaces that are either too crumbly or too hard to nail into otherwise.
--
Cheers,

John.

Hmmm. They sound good. I might try to source some.
Christian.

A bit of a google came up with
http://www.towerman.co.uk/pdf/fixings/hammerfix.pdf
Part 55P1,
Its in the middle of a pdf, so I haven't hd time (or ICBA) to dig around for the prices just now.
But as I've never ever succeeded with a masonry nail of any size or type, must be worth a look
mike r
mike ring wrote:

yup that is the beastie...
--
Cheers,

John.

I remember seeing wall plugs specially for cable clips - little red ones. Haven't seen them recently. I think they were made by Tower.
--
*Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Not enough sticktion I would think. In your place I would use a hot melt glue gun - judiciously ;-)
--
fred

May I suggest an alternative method of fixing ?
Use screw down cable tie bases. ( OK, I admit it will take longer than just banging in some nail type cable grips, but does have it's benefits...) Fix the bases into the wall with screws and wall plugs. Then use cable ties to attach the cables into position on the bases.
With this method you can easily release the cables if you need to and can just pop another cable-tie on to re-secure it.

just
Trying to find these on Screwfix but not doing too well. Does anyone have a quote number for these?
TIA Dave R
Try cpc ( www.cpc.co.uk )
Product codes CBBR091666 or CB0461266

can

Thanks - also spotted that this is part of Farnell.
Dave R
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 13:19:18 -0000, "David W.E. Roberts"
Just as an aside, I got my first introduction to "No more nails" last week.
Got asked to fix a washing line. When I went along I was shown how one end of the washing line had come away from the garage wall. The bracket had been fixed to the wall with....you can guess the rest. :)
PoP

I've used GripFil to hold stuff that you wouldn't believe, and I have yet to have any bond break - excellent stuff but a git to get off your hands. I thought 'No More Nails' was just for lighter DIY jobs, since iirc it is not petroleum based.
Rob

No More Nails is plenty strong enough to hold up a washing line, but it doesn't survive repeated moisture.
As to the cables, then I have been known to do this for low voltage cable and "garage grade" work, but generally I'd attach a length of either galvanised cable tray, or a wooden batten, then tiewrap or clip the cables to that.

making
Use a hot glue gun - no problems with chemicals and quite a common solution.
HTH Rob