dodgy dog - what to do

A couple (late 20's) who live in an adjacent St have a Husky dog. It seems uncontrollable and vicious. It's always on a lead which is good except the woman is clearly at the limit of what she can manage to do to hold it back every time they pass someone. Am pretty sure it would attack, should it slip the lead. The Bloke is struggling with it too but it seems to listen more to him. I like dogs very much and have had Alsatians and Labradors in the past so know a little of their nature. But the husky to me seems more of a pack-animal than most domestic dogs. My concern is that there are quite a few young children in the area and feel the need to have the owners (who seem ok) to realise the risk. I don't think "having a word" will work and probably escalate things. Only a week ago it pulled the lead out of Mrs' hand and had a go at attacking a car (my wife was driving it so saw it happen). Stopped in the middle of the road while this dog circling the car! Any suggestions what to do for best? RSPCA do anything? The Cops? Council?

Reply to
michael newport

uncontrollable and vicious. It's always on a lead

to do to hold it back every time they pass

I had a husky before. If she ran to you, it was to lick you to death. Or ask (demand, really) for your food, depending on the situation. Huskies are very social dogs, can't handle being alone well. If both people of the couple work all day long (seems likely in their 20s), that poor dog is hungry for human attention, the opposite of vicious. You may be reading the intent wrong.

But they do pull really hard (and not only sleds), so suggest they use a choking metal chain instead of a regular dog collar. The harder the dog pulls, the tighter it chokes, helps to control it.

The situation with the car also sounds familiar except the intent was, again, opposite: that dog loved cars. If you opened the door, she'd be inside in no time. She could run after a car, but to get in, not to "attack" it. Husky's are not that stupid.

Reply to
passerby

Well its difficult. In theory the Police should be the people, but even if you video it and show them, its been my experience that somebody ora guide dog has to be attacked before they move on the owners. To me the owners need to take it to a dog trainer for some advice. Also it should if it is a male be castrated, as this can change the nature very quickly in some dogs. Honestly it seems as if, from your description, that it has assumed the role of pack leader and is protecting the pack. Dogs like this need to be put in their place early in life. Its very hard once they get older. It needs also to be checked over by a vet, as I've also known dogs that are ill exhibit this kind of behaviour due one supposes to pain or insecurity. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

AIUI any aggressive large dog, or even smaller ones, should be muzzled when in public places. Is this one muzzled? I don't have much faith in the simple strap around the base of the jaw; a cage over the whole muzzle is much better

More about the legal situation here
It might be worth pointing out to the owner that they could be heavily fined and the dog destroyed if their dog does attack someone. But that would be too late, of course.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I think you have to at least call the RSPCA in the hope that 'they know best'. I have discovered, since having a son recently, that there are dogs who (in the words of their owners) 'aren't used to children', and become much more aggressive when you get near with a child.

This dog may be perfectly harmless, if alarming; but your instincts are telling you that something is wrong. If something bad does happen, and you haven't asked anyone about it, you may never forgive yourself.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Last port of call. The RSPCA are more likely to seize the dog and have it put down as dangerously out of control.

When will we learn that young children and dogs do not mix.

As someone has already mentioned suggest they get a choke chain and find a local training class before some real damage is done or before someone reports them to the RSPCA and they come and seize the dog....

Reply to
bert

Huskies are a pack animal if kept in multiples ... they are very sociable, and unfortunately like people - which is why they don't usually make good guard dogs.

Your first step is to go have a word with them, and make them aware of your concerns - without any threats - that maybe all it takes.

If the woman has trouble when it is on a lead a halter may be a better option.

Reply to
rick

They mix fine as long as they're trained to get on with each other.

Out of dog owners, children, and dogs, the problem is not usually* the dogs.

*Can be sometimes, though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Both dogs and children!!

Exactly, so better be safe than sorry.

Reply to
bert

Just not feasible, particularly on the streets.

And the last thing that makes any sense is to never let kids get anywhere near a dog, because you are actually stupid enough to do things like that, so they stay fearful of dogs.

Reply to
Hankat

Our little lad was knocked over by a greyhound (someone local takes them in when they're too old to race). It was muzzled, but it was still a bit of an ordeal, as the owner lost control of it, and it was rather 'excited'. It'll take him a while to completely trust dogs now, which is a shame, since the missus really loves them.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

What's the first port of call, then, if the OP doesn't want to fall out with the owner, and doesn't think it will help anyway?

I think we've learned, but how do you avoid contact when you're out walking?

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

In article , Hankat writes

There's a difference between "not letting children near dogs" and actually having a dog in the family. Teach your children to approach dogs sensibly and to respect them as an animal not a toy. Also children come in a variety of ages. I'm talking 0 to about 10.

Most attacks dog on children occur in the family environment.

Reply to
bert

I'm afraid it is the owners being as tactful as possible. They may well welcome a bit of helpful advice but you won't know until you try.

With difficulty

Reply to
bert

Sure, but its MUCH worse to take that other approach, never let kids get anywhere near them because of that stupid 'better be safe than sorry' approach and see them fearful of dogs for life.

Makes a lot more sense to just keep an eye out when they are young enough to get bowled over to ensure that doesn't happen.

Same with the way that some very young kids can get into trouble when they start whacking a dog in the face with a stick etc. Makes more sense to point out to them that that can have real downsides and ensure that they don't get bitten by watching what they get up to.

We do that with all sorts of stuff like climbing trees and running around. Its stupid to just ban it on the basis of 'better be safe than sorry'

Reply to
Hankat

You havent actually.

Not possible and stupid to avoid having any dogs or kids when out walking.

The only thing that makes any sense is to just be more observant when out with little kids to notice dogs that have escaped from their owners temporarily and avoid them getting knocked over.

Not hard to do.

Reply to
Hankat

Of course animals are a toy for kids. What do you think rabbits, guinea pigs, rats and mice are for kids ?

Your 'better safe than sorry' makes no sense at all for that group.

Because they spend a lot more time together in that situation. Its just basic arithmetic.

Reply to
Hankat

There is no helpful advice possible. Even a choke collar wont make any difference with a husky. They have been bred to pull like that.

The only helpful advice that is possible is to be aware of how huskies operate before getting one and its too late when they are walking one on the street.

Not even possible. Even just heading in the opposite direction when you notice one isnt feasible most of the time.

Reply to
Hankat

The problem is that dogs can occasionally kill a child. They are hard pushed to kill and adult.

So whilst having dogs and kids is fine, there should always be an adult capable of prising the dog off the child should the child ingenuously decide to see what happens when it smashes the dogs balls with a couple of half bricks ...

Learning stuff like that is what makes adults out of kids, but sometimes they don't live to understand the lesson.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, but so do cars, bikes, trees, rivers, pools and buildings and we just accept the fact that there is some risk with anything.

That is the usual helicopter parents shit.

Sure, but that is just as true of trees, roaming around with other kids, riding their bikes, going for a swim. It makes no sense to be a helicopter parent so the kids never get to work out what is more risky for themselves.

I would have hated my parents to always supervise me at all times, particularly well away from the house even before I was going to school on my own every school day from the age of 5.

I never even came close to being killed and never even ended up with a broken arm or leg or finger. The one time something undesirable did happen was when me and a couple of my mates were wandering around the circus after school when it was in town and we were looking at the lions in their cages etc. I passed a bit close to one of the trucks used to move the tent etc around and didn?t notice that there was a dog chained up under it. I got bitten when I surprised the dog but that was no big deal, I survived fine.

One of the neighbours kids managed to fall out of one of my trees with a ruler in her mouth for some reason and survived that fine too.

I fell out of a tree myself when I must have been about 6 or so going by where that happened house wise, again, no big deal.

Reply to
Hankat