DIY PC Repair...?

HI All Anybody here know anything about fixing 'dead' PCs - or maybe suggest an appropriate newsgroup where I can ask this question.

Thanks Adrian Suffolk UK

Reply to
Adrian

uk.comp.homebuilt

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

We might be able to help - how dead is dead ?

Any error messages ? beeps ? nothing but a black screen and no lights ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

You had a thunder storm as well?

Kids computer now refuses to POST let alone boot. All power lines are present and correct, it'll power up/down fine, HD spins up but nothing else happens. B-(

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

uk.comp.homebuilt. Lot of very good people on there.

Dave

Reply to
gort

Dell =A3199 ish special base unit is probably best option HTH Phil

Reply to
nimbusjunk

Dell =A3199 ish special base unit is probably best option HTH Phil

Reply to
nimbusjunk

Err thanks Phil, but I build my own!!!!!

Dave

Reply to
gort

Thanks all I'll ask over in 'homebuilt'...

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

have you checked the voltage of the cmos battery? May be all it needs. May be various other probs too, eg a faulty pci/isa/agp card.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Also, most modern mother-boards have 4 or 5 LEDs which display the stages of the boot process.

Reply to
Bob Martin

I had a similar problem recently, the PC would sometimes crash and then not POST - would always have to fiddle inside it. Eventually tracked it down to a dodgy video card - sometimes the fan on the card wouldn't power up (probably a dodgy power connector) and this stopped the machine in it's tracks (presumably an anti-overheating strategy)

Reply to
chris French

Almost certainly a peripheral chip gone.

New motherboard time probly. If its recent the RAM and CPU chips may be reusable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

uk.comp.homebuilt

Reply to
Dave

You could try alt.computer

Reply to
Mighty Magpie

Hi,

If a certain age mobo, something else to check is the caps:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C