DIY ear-unblocking

Hi all,

After a recent viral infection I find that after the little nasty had attacked my tonsils, chest and given me a slight fever, it left me with fluid (pus I would guess) in my middle ear which is proving remarkably reluctant to drain away. The effect is like when you get out of a swimming pool and find you have water lodged in one ear. The difference is, you can't clear this in the same way as it's behind the ear drum. I first noticed this 8 days ago. Any suggestions as to how to get rid?

Reply to
Chris

After 8 days I'd be back at the Dr's.

Chewing chewing-gum may help to open up the passages.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Puff out your cheeks hard to get as much air into your ears as possible, then hold your nose and crank your jaw wide-open to open your eustachian tube and hope the air forces the liquid out?

Reply to
Andy Burns

SCUBA divers know a thing or two about blocked ears

Valsalva manoeuvre Toynbee manoeuvre Frenzel manoeuvre Otovent manoeuvre - photo please if you try this one! Lowry technique Edmonds technique

Reply to
Andy Burns

It happens to me after a cold is gone, occasionally.

With lips closed and nose pinched, use lungs to raise air pressure in nose/mouth, until you hear your ears pop, which forces air into the middle ear. It will escape with the fluid when you release the pressure (and maybe swallow a few times). May need to repeat a few times a day.

Note this also raises your blood pressure momentarily, so may not be a good idea if you've had a stroke or very poor blood clotting.

BTW, unlikely to be pus unless you have raging ear-ache too. Most likely to be nasal mucus, which gets up there when there's an excess of it around.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You need to see a doctor

You might need a grommet inserting in the eardrum which will allow it to drain out.

I have some spare grommets which I used with metal back boxes when rewiring my house, but unless you have ears the size of an elephant I don't think they'd be suitable and so this is not a DIY job!

Reply to
Murmansk

Try a nasal de-decongestant such as Beconase.

I know cos I had one prescribed a few weeks ago by Dr for a similar problem - it will help clear a blocked Eustachian tube (leading from inner ear to throat) and allow inner ear to drain.

Its highly unkiely to be pus as otehrwise you would have a raging earache.

Of course, you could always pop along to a pharmacist or a Dr if you don't fancy the DIY approach ;-)

Reply to
Mark Allread

Jeye's Fluid or see your Doctor - take your pick. I would not use WD40.

Reply to
Judith

See a doctor, practise nurse or pharmacist.

Don't be tempted to poke around. The general advice is you should only go inside your ear as far as you can reach with your elbow.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Angle grinder?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Vitamin D tablets

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I was going to suggest an angle grinder but in this case I think a simple trepanning with an electric drill ought to be sufficient.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

harry

It may be blocked sinuses - try steam - breathing in from a bowl of hot water with a towel over your head. Perhaps add spearmint or peppermint.

Reply to
alan_m

As someone who gets this often when I get a cold (but without full on ear ache):

Don't force it by holding your nose and blowing - if it's reluctant, all you'll do is blow air in which probably won't come out until it's ready

- leading to some discomfort.

Try dry swallowing with head at various angles and walk about a bit. It will often encourage the tubes to open a little. You'll know because you'll notice odd crackling/popping sounds.

If it's not clearing soon, I'd pop along to the doctor.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Perhaps add spearmint or peppermint.

To taste? ;-)

Seriously, this is where small calibre handguns come into their own. Procure a .22" live shot pistol and one round of ammunition. Remove the lead bullet from the cartridge casing, discard, and pack *soft* tissue paper into the cartridge casing so as to keep the propellant explosive in place. Insert the modified round into the pistol, position the muzzle tightly against the outer ear so as to form a gas-tight seal, and discharge the weapon. That should instantly clear the obstruction.

*NOTE:* only use *soft* tissue paper as anything else (like that awful Izal stuff) may risk damaging the eardrum.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Many people prefer vitamin D taken in capsules. Though not usually for ear issues specifically...

Reply to
polygonum

Capsule - that might work. Try pushing it through the ear canal with the end of a pencil.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

At the beginning of last year, I had mild flu' but serious sinus blocking. My daughter in Australia suggested the traditional steaming bowl of boiled water and the towel over the head. I remember my parents doing the same with Beecham's powders.

I gave it a try, not realizing that this would open the capillaries in my nose leading to an unstoppable nose-bleed and NHS Direct's urge to 'get him to as hospital within the hour'.

I was lucky. The designated hospital was Watford General. Apparently it was our nearest yet I had never been there before. They were magnificent. From reception, through triage to examination and treatment, just Rolls Royce. The lovely east European junior doctor took a swab and within an hour was able to say 'well its not man-flu'!

Take care. You may not be as lucky as me. :)

Alan s

Reply to
pinnerite

I thought this year the standard was a pressure washer?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris