DIY car repairs and spare parts

Hi

I guess this question is slightly off topic but has come about because I tried to DIY so I would be grateful for any assistance.

The latch mechanism recently failed on my rather old Audi. I removed it and went to our local dealership who told me that the part was "not a stock item" and would have to be ordered. This was yesterday and they said that it would probably arrive on tomorrow (Wednesday). I had to pay in full.

Now a bit more examination and a good clean has meant that the "faulty" item now works.

Basically, the question is can I get my money back somehow ? The order form states that "special orders" cannot be returned for credit. It does not however state that this is a special order.

Does the fact that I havent yet pciked up this item help my cause ? I suspect that I will have to pay but any advice welcome. Sorry for it being slightly off-topic...

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

you have to pay although you already have

Reply to
mindwipe

I think I will try and appeal to their better nature see if they will do a deal...

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

sounds reasonable

Reply to
mindwipe

You're right about it being OT. It's not *really* DIY - it's not even really motoring - but more legal.

You have contracted to buy something, and are committed to do so. You *may* be able persuade them to cancel the order - but if they've ordered something for you which they don't normally stock, it is - by definition - a special order.

Reply to
Set Square

I'd suggest you offer to pay a reasonable restocking fee, to cover their costs.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

If they're half decent they'll simply deduct a handling charge of about

20% and refund the rest.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How much are we talking? Is there anything else you need for the car? They may just swap it for something else.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Thanks for all the suggestions. The door latch was £75 - so not a huge amount but enough that I didnt really want to spend it if I didnt have to.

Obviously, all will become clear when I speak to them tomorrow morning but I just wanted some clarification of where I stood before I did that.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

I remember I needed 3 parts for an old VW I owned. 1 part was in stock and the other 2 parts had to be ordered in. Like you, the invoice said "special orders cannot be returned". However when I got home I managed to get one of the old parts working again. So the next day when I went to collect the 2 parts they had ordered I told them I only needed the one of them. That was fine no charge. They said it just stays at their garage until another garage requests it.

So you never know. Good luck.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

They have your money and your part...

Which one they choose to give you back is at their discretion, not yours.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well thanks for all the replies.

In the end I did get my money back. It did involve a visit to the garage and pointing out that their T&Cs arent made apparent until after they have your money and print out the order but after that they were fine about it!

However, I will be a little more careful in future....

Thanks again,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

Interesting point about T+Cs not being apparent until after you have entered into the contract. There are some old cases involving railway tickets which had the T+Cs printed on the reverse of the ticket and were thus invisible until after purchase. IIRC one involved a person falling to their death. Whoever says that the law is boring!

In a similar vein SWMBO always reads the microscopic print on the reverse of agreements much to the annoyance of the vendors. She once refused to sign a hire agreement because of an Unfair Term and the hirer agreed to delete the offending clause!!!

Reply to
rjs