DIY ADSL connection?

Did it make any difference?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) saying something like:

utorrent's not been downloading for the past few days, only seeding, and the router's not choked up, so it looks like that was it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Yup, I've had problems with routers choking after sometime with the number of connections from uttorent. In my case a Zyxel and a Netgear. The O2 supplied one, some variety of Thomson doesn't seem to suffer the same problem.

Reply to
chris French

The problem will be with the volume of stateful information it needs to keep. The limit(s) could be in the firewall and/or NAT function (although not the router function as that's probably stateless in an ADSL modem).

If you want to run what ammounts to a server, then you probably don't want to front it with what ammounts to a low capacity client NAT/firewall in an ADSL modem. I actually use the NAT/firewall functions inside the server which will handle millions of connections if necessary (although not necessary for me).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel