Diplomat Washing Machine

Hi

I have a diplomat washing machine which is around 14months old. It has worked perfectly, but suddenly cannot seem to spin. It goes to the spin cycle and just moves really slowly as if it cant accelerate to the speed. I had someone take a look at it, and they have said it is a circuit board fault which will cost £180.00 to repair. I'm a bit wary of one man bands and this seems an awful lot of money. Can anyone advise whether it is likely to be that, or whether it could be something else?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
LJH

Any idea who makes it?

I've had a couple of machines do exactly what you describe (one more than once) and it was, as you might expect, the motor speed control module. On my machines this board lived in a small plastic box near the bottom of the machine, clipped to the side, and had about 9 or 10 black wires attached to it, all numbered.

These were, I was told, a common failure and were very easy to replace. I ordered mine from the manufacturer and it cost approx. £28 three or four years ago.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Incidentally, have you asked about getting it repaired by the company you bought it from?

If this is Comet, Dixons etc. then good luck. I've found that the best thing you can do there is to tell them it's broken and ask them what they're going to do about it. They will say "Nothing" and you then tell them you'll get it repaired and take them to court for the amount it cost to repair, then you should do exactly that because it is VERY unlikely they'll offer to repair it.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

id hazard a guess that there may be a dry joint on the pcb. are you handy with a soldering iron?

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

These machines are made by Servis for MFI the module board is a common failure and yes they are expensive upto £120 + vat. Other possible causes are the motor capacitor of around 20uf if it has an induction motor or the drain is restricted in the filter or sink.

Peter

Reply to
Peter