Dimmers

Anyone know if a three gang switch exists where two are normal switches & one is a dimmer?

Searched TLC to no avail.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think you will have to go for grid switches.

Reply to
John

You can make one up using the MK gridswitch system. Use the 3 modules in a double width box mouting frame and facia. Won't be cheap, but MK are known for their high quality dimmers.

Just typed the parts into a CPC order form...

PL00673 1 K4501WHI GRID PLUS DIMMER SWITCH £33.00 PL00653 2 K4882WHI GRID PLUS SWITCH MODULE - 2 WAY £2.68 x 2 PL00639 1 K3633WHI GRID PLUS - 2 GANG/3 WAY PLATE £2.60 PL00646 1 K3703 GRID PLUS - 3 WAY PLATE £1.63

CPC also do a grid system by RPP which gets 3 modules into a single width box. I have them in my living room, and I had to replace the switches after about 5 years as they fell apart (and they're only switching 12V 1mA signal wires in my case).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Slightly bigger, but MK (inter alia) do a 'double' surface box that is exactly that - takes two single switch plates. On can be a dimmer, other can be a double switch. Neater than two single switches but may not meet your requirement.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

How has your reliability of switching been with the low current and voltage on mains rated switches? I have been worried about oxidised contacts unless say a hundred mA or so was available to keep them clean at low voltage.

Reply to
fred

That hasn't been an issue so far. Most of my switchs are MK ones which have also been fine -- just that MK don't offer a 3-module grid in a single plate size.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm not surprised. The beauty of a grid system is the variety of modules offered - and I doubt you could offer the same range if you restricted the width to where 3 would fit on a single gang plate. Especially with dimmers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

That's useful to know, thanks.

Reply to
fred

Swap two of the dimmer modules out of a 3-gang dimmer with a switch- only module:

course you'll end up with two spare dimmer modules but these are handy things to have as spares anyway.

I would suggest ensuring the dimmers are the push on/off type in order to make all switches function in the same fashion.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton