digital radios

In article , Dave scribeth thus

As many others have said no. It looks like FM will be around to stay for a long time yet. DAB is a poorly implemented digital radio system and there really ought be something better then the olde world system we have been lumbered with.

One other reason is that the money grabbing government stands to make more revenue from digital TV spectrum but they won't from radio;!..

Cynic, moi:?..

Reply to
tony sayer

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:39:32 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote this:-

Is that where your aerial is pointed though? If it is then, according to the not always reliable , it does not transmit analogue Channel 5.

That channel was indeed squeezed in and may only have been available from another analogue transmitter in some places, as well as the aerial group problem someone else has mentioned if it was on the same transmitter.

Given the post-switchover range of frequencies and your distance from the transmitter it looks like a log periodic aerial would be suitable if you were thinking of changing aerial due to the age of the existing one. I suspect it won't improve analogue Channel 5 though, as that is not on the transmitter.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 01:29:28 -0800 (PST) someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote this:-

The same is true of televisions I gather. Proponents claim that this is balanced by the relatively low power of the transmitters. I'm not convinced, but that is their claim.

As for government being two faced with regard to power consumption/ climate change, that's nothing new. The charitable explanation is that it takes a long time for the message to permeate to many parts of government.

The last time I checked, some months ago, with the exception of Ireland they were already more advanced in making the change.

Of course those who are at the cutting edge may get cut. The question is whether there is a smooth path for most to move from DAB to DAB+ for those who have bought the sets. They have done reasonably well with television, only the earliest boxes not being able to be updated for the latest change.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:19:11 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote this:-

Personally the only DAB station I would like to get is BBC7. It is available on Freeview and satellite though and certainly not worth getting a DAB radio for.

Reply to
David Hansen

In article , David Hansen scribeth thus

Humm...

I thought that channel 5 came from Croydon .. not the place;-)...

tony sayer

This is untrue of course. There is less chippery in a modern digital set so they use less power.

Converting an old analogue set will use more power as you are adding a new bit.

The correct explanation is that the government know about the GW lie and are only using it for political ends. Why they don't just say that we are too dependent on other countries and need to reduce oil consumption I don't know. I do know that ten years ago any government that said they were going nuclear would suffer but now its accepted as inevitable by most.

Reply to
dennis

I haven't seen C5 for many years; it wasn't transmitted to the area outside of Cambridge where I lived (something to do with it interfering with the university's astronomy dept. I believe) and I refused to pay x pounds/month for a bazillion digital channels when I was only ever going to watch four or five of them.

Reply to
Jules

No. FM radio will continue beyond the analgue TV shut-down. AFAIK, no date has been suggested for shutting it down.

Let's hope FM keeps going until the replacement is has as good sound quality (and is in full stereo).

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

You can get a DTTV STB these days for not a lot - and there's no extra payment over and above the licence fee. There is a lot of rubbish on some of the channels but hey - some must watch it. Others do repeats which can be useful. Also satellite is getting quite cheap to buy - and again quite a lot is free to air.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

[...]

What system does Ireland use now? DAB or DAB+? I'm in the North-West of Northern Ireland --- Irish DAB haas not been extended to here yet.

Two things I like DAB for: 1. Test Match Special on BBC 5/Sports; 2. The ability to record onto SD card on my Pure Pure Digital DMX-50 (though the novelty does wear off).

Best regards,

Jon C.

Reply to
Jonathan Campbell

Since when has FM been in "full stereo"?

Andy Dee

What is "full stereo", given stereo is an attempt to give the impression of "full" when it isn't?

Only asking - I'll get me coat...

Reply to
Bob Mannix

?? No monthly charges for Freeview.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

quadraphonic? That system for people with 4 ears.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

a real soundscape has height.

Reply to
Paul Herber

Hmm, true, I had forgotten that it didn't have any monthly fees. I think it was the aerial cost (I had a crappy old thing in the loft) and decoder cost that put me off there. Not so much that the costs were astronomical, but more that I already had a good TV with a good analogue tuner which showed four channels (of which I'd take in 10% of programming at best) - paying yet more money for no real net gain doesn't seem like a particularly sensible thing to do.

Maybe TV will one day go truly "pay only for what you use" in a similar way to books and music, and that might change things for the better...

Reply to
Jules

stand on a chair.

Reply to
Jules

Captain Kirk out of Star Trek had 3 ears.

The left ear.

The right ear.

and...

The Final Front Ear.

I'll get me coat...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Those oldies amongst us will remember it being Davy Crockett - with a wild frontier...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its just plain old DAB...

and I thought the Irish would have more sense;!..

Reply to
tony sayer