Diamond, what diamond?

Hi

I just bought some low price diamond cutting discs. When I open the pack I find out there's almost no diamond there, just the odd particle of grit here and there on a steel disc. Is this normal? I thought they were usually fully coated. Have I bought a dud? Is this normal on cheap discs? Are they going to be any use? Is the diamond mixed into the steel, or is those few isolated grains on the surface it?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

On 3 Mar 2004 09:51:19 -0800, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) strung together this:

That's about your lot. I've had a couple of cheap diamond discs, (Makita 115mm for about £15), and they've done well so far. I haven't seen any diamond discs with a full coating. All of my Marcrist diamond core drills are the same.

Reply to
Lurch

The wheels are edged with a sintered material, not a "coating". It's the depth of the material that matters (as well as the amount/size of diamond). You should be able to see that if you look at the side of the disc. The diamonds (which are pretty much worthless, a penny a disc maybe) are embedded in the matrix like currants in a bun. As the matrix wears, they fall out and are lost (they can also shatter if severe mis- use occurs). You will see more once you've used the wheels a bit. FWIW old diamond drilling bits had little holes drilled over their surfaces during manufacture, diamonds were dropped into these and swaged in tight. These diamonds were about the size of a peppercorn in some cases!

Reply to
jerrybuilt

good news. Thanks! NT

Reply to