Descaling a bath.

Does anyone know a safe way to descale a bath?

Twice now I have assumed that metal, i.e older cast iron or more recent steel, baths were vitreous enamelled. In each case attempting to thoroughly descale it has resulted in the descaler removing everything to reveal a dark surface. In the first case I used dilute hydrochloric acid - which would be ok on a vitreous surface! In the second I used Waitrose washing machine descaler, which is probably citric acid.

Take this as a terrible warning! .. and since you ask.. In the first instance I was trying to get a good base before resurfacing a bath with 'Tubby' epoxy coating. In the second, just trying to remove unsightly marks! Tubby is a fairly useful product, but it tends to peel away at the edges. Has anyone had complete, lasting success with it?

Reply to
Jan Wysocki

In message , Jan Wysocki writes

Thanks for reminding me - it's about time I tried it

How long does it take to actually prepare and do?

Reply to
geoff

I find the same problem when I clean my teeth with hydrochloric acid. I It eats right through the enamel to leaving just the root dangling. I don't understand it either. But it does leave the advantage of a hollow skull to have a barbeque in........

In the second I used

Reply to
SC

[snip] Stuff about descaling and resurfacing.

Geoff, I presume you mean how long does it take to resurface with a Tubby kit?

Several hours to 'sand' the bath all over, then about half an hour to mix the two part coating and apply it (by mini-roller). You can keep the surplus mixed coating in the freezer in case you need to apply a second coat.

Reply to
Jan Wysocki