Descale Britony II T

Hi there boiler people,

I have a Britony II T gas water heater, like so:

was installed as a second hand unit when I first bought it, and I've no idea how much use it had prior to me. It's worked fine, and I'm very happy with it, but [on account of chatting to a heating engineer some years ago] I have a feeling that the temperature of the heated water is has dropped somewhat. I'm aware of seasonal differences in performance, but coupled with it's age and the fact that I live in a hard water area, I am wondering if performance might be enhanced with a descale?

Is this possible to do this job without a circulating pump? - [obviously, with the heat exchanger removed]. Or can you hire such pumps yourself? And if so, what about a suitable chemical to work with?

Thanks Garry

Reply to
garryb59

Before you waste a lot of time and effort on this exercise take a look at a new replacement price and decide if its worth the aggravation to end up with an ageing lump

Reply to
John

You can hire one from Acorn Gas Supplies in Leeds £50.

You can buy the solution these days. In instructions for Britney th Hydrocloric acid formula is given, think it's 5 water 1 acid.

one main problem with Britneys is worn diaphragm, costs about £5. Ver important to lubricate the pin with silicon grease. In failure mode th boiler stays fired up after hot tap is turned off. Very quickly heat an pressure is sufficient to blow apart the first joint after the heate and fill the room with steam.

Apart from that they are dream machines

-- Paul Barker

Reply to
Paul Barker