Delivery charge or extortion?

I was browsing the B&Q web site tonight looking for a cheap shower enclosure for our guest bedroom.
I quite fancied this one until I saw the delivery charge.
http://www.diy.com/bq/product/product.jhtml?PRODIDc223&paintCatId=&CATID 702&maxBullets9
Is this typical? Seems a tad steep to me.
Tim
--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 20:41:29 -0000, "Tim Downie"

Nice work if you can get it!
Mind you, Group 4 need to make their profit somewhere, they've lost a bit of their profits from letting the convicts get away..... ;)
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!
Well they could combine the two and let one of the cons drop it off as part of the escape.
dg

You are joking, right? You give an escaping criminal a package containing new showroom bits and pieces, and ask him nicely to drop that package off on his way thru? And it won't cross our cat burglars mind to sell the items for a personal profit instead?????
I don't think so - more serious suggestions welcome ;)
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!
Shame on you. You seem to assume that all criminals are thieves
tut, tut
dg

part
Seems a lot. Don't know about the mail order side of the business but I live on the very edge of B&Q Warehouse delivery area. ISTR it costs 20 to have something delivered if I order delivery when I'm in the store, and that covers an entire palette of stuff on a hiab lorry, with additional palettes only being a fiver each I think. Have a look through Screwfix's enclosures at www.screwfix.com. It's owned by the same company as B&Q but the mail order charges are more reasonable than that! W.

shower enclosure

http://www.diy.com/bq/product/product.jhtml?PRODIDc223&paintCat Id=&CATID702&maxBullets9
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 20:41:29 -0000, "Tim Downie"

Will they not deliver to your nearest store for collection perhaps?
Mark S.
Mark S. wrote:

No. It may go to a store for onward delivery tho' Bloke in local B&Q strongly advises against this, as he's talking to me while standing over several pallets of kitchens, some stock, some for customer delivery. Not clearly labelled so all jumbled up. Mostly guesswork sorting it out (matching number of doors to units hopefully). He disappears, then some punter selects a couple of items from said pallets and wanders off in the direction of the tills...
--
Toby.

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 20:41:29 -0000, "Tim Downie"

50, give or take.
A sign in my local B&Q says something along the lines of..."We don't do free delivery because there is no such thing. Why make others pay for your drlivery by increasing prices on all products, as most companies do? If you want it delivered, you pay the charge, not everyone else who uses the store."
Seems reasonable to me, but 50 still seems a lot.
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:57:39 +0000, Mike Barnard

The babelfish translator converts this to human hearable speech thus:
"Why should we include delivery in our quotes and squeeze our inflated profit margin?"
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!
Hello PoP

Nono, you misunderstand. The profit margin remains unaffected /regardless/ of whether delivery is free or not.
It works for companies like Screwfix for who the vast majority (maybe all?) customers require delivery, but I'm with B&Q if they make people pay for a service.
But then, I drive a very big van so I can be avoid local delivery charges. :)
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:16:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@digdilem.org (Simon Avery) wrote:

I'm sure that must work out real cost effective, all that fuel you have to put in the very big van and all..... ;)
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:57:39 +0000, Mike Barnard

I wonder if it's a mistake.
Presumably there is something in that shower cubicles are heavy and glass - they say in their delivery info section that heavy/bulky items cost 50 for delivery.
If you look at the other items in the section, they have a shower cubicle at 240 which also has a 50 delivery charge - still quite high, but not quite so ridiculous. They then have an enclosure for 130 on which the delivery is 15 which is not unreasonable at all.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl