Dead SDS+ drilling machine - replacement chioce?

at first but are really useful. Probably the most complete drill to buy, cant recomend it enough ( there's a 24 & a 26 , not sure on differance )

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I know too many people who us them. You don't as you sit in a room all day twiddling knobs.

Doing what? You don't do anything.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

But you've said all your 'pro' acquaintances use PPPro, etc? Or were you telling porkies then too?

I do, however, own and use a DW 566. And have given my opinion based on my

*own* findings.

If only you'd do the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

< snip more incoherent illogical babble by Mr Cranium >

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

They have a big spring under them. So when you get your new toy, and you pop the chuck off for the first time, don't have it pointing at the tiled fireplace hearth...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

This is ever so tempting.

please.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

looks like a good deal to me, I have the one with swappable chucks and am very happy with it (not sure about your clutch criteria ) go to your local tool shop to get a feel of it ask him to price match or buy off net

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Do you find the varilock system useful? It's interesting that the 24DFR has this whereas the 26DRE does not. I found the wandering chisel in my (dead) machine sufficiently irritating that I tried only once to use it for channel chasing and gave up and used a bolster! But then how often do I do wiring chases (not ever post-Part P, officer!!). Joking apart; I have a TCT bit for my angle grinder that makes near perfect chases far easier than a whacking great SDS+ drill about ever managed.

In what way are you not sure about clutches?

Regards

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Richard wrote :-

scroll down my friend ;-)

quote (off your link) - When chiseling, the vario-lock position on the function selector allows a choice of the most effective chisel angle, before locking the tool in hammer-only mode.

wether it has one or not

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

And it all becomes clear!

Thanks Jeff.

In my pursuit of perfection, via the DIY archives, I have found the Makita HR2450X (which has a clutch and their version of the varilock) from

decisions. Any views of Makita/Bosch? They both seem to have a 3 yr guarantee.

Regards

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Richard wrote :-

>> Decisions, decisions. Any views of Makita/Bosch? They both seem to

doesn't say anything about the makita having a clutch - the dewalt has one, we have a dewalt at work which is infuriating because the clutch keeps slipping

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Bosch does have a clutch it seems

?division=gw&ccat_id=9534&prod_id=8733Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

to have no rotary stop (chiselling) An SDS without one is not worth it.

More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Quite agree. Searching the archives of this NG put me on the track of the Makita unit. Apparently the dot between the 'hammer+drill' and 'hammer' symbols on the twist control is the point at which you turn the chuck to the desired angle, when you twist the knob to the 'hammer' symbol the rotation of the chuck is locked at that position. There is a clearer picture on the Screwfix site.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Sorry it does Looks a good deal. I would go for that before the Bosch. Does the screwfix version come with the chuck, bits and chisels?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

No need for apologies. I only knew to look for it from what I'd read in the archive. What I don't understand is why what I assume to be key features are not adequately described in equal measure for every power tool! Deliberate attempt to make poor b********s like me give up and plump for the first model that appears on the screen. And as for Makita's web site - don't ask!!

No, the Screwfix model comes naked as the day it was born.

Lawson's does look very tempting. Now all I have to do is justify the expense!

Rgds

Richard

Reply to
Richard

The choice is huge now. At the lower end Argos Extreme for £40. Makita for £120, similar with Hitachi. Ryobi make a good one for £80 in SFX. Wickes have two re-badged Kress machine from £110 - £150, with 3 year guarantees; good deals. The £110 one is now over 600w and has an excellent pedigree, being made for 10 years plus now.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Thanks for all contributions

In the end I ordered on of these (the Makita HR2450X)

should arrive Monday or Tuesday. I'll post some feedback to a new thread if anyone is interested.

Regards

Richard

Reply to
Richard

> It should arrive Monday or Tuesday. I'll post some feedback to a new

Good deal when you consider the extras they throw in. The chuck is not removable I assume. Just clip-in the keyless into the SDS chuck.

I would have gone for the Kress simply because of the 3 yr guarantee. Anyone who rates their products for 3 years must make a decent product.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Or expect the majority of buyers not to use it very much.

Is it an unconditional warranty?

It could also just be a clever marketing move. Those Kress tools aren't at bargain basement prices, so that price might include the cost of the warranty.

Others like John Lewis do simlar - a five year warranty on all the TVs they sell.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)