drilling with sds

Hi. if you need or have to drill a 32mm hole in bricks is it a good idea to drill a pilot hole. eg. 12mm?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
51

I would say so.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

The message from "51" contains these words:

Core bits come with their own pilot.

Reply to
Guy King

If using a core drill, is it worth while drilling thru with the pilot drill before mounting it in the core drill to make the big hole?

Arhur

Reply to
51

If it's an SDS bit, then yes. If you have some sizes inbetween, I would use them too. Once you've done the pilot, it's then a good idea to drill the main hole half way through from each side, but you may need a slightly bigger bit to allow for a slight mismatch when the holes meet. In particular, when drilling through a 9" brick wall with lime mortar, you will likely otherwise just push the whole brick out from the second side if you do it all from one side.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The message from "51" contains these words:

I never have.

Reply to
Guy King

The only value I can think of is to check where the hole will come out on the other side. much easier to re-pocate the pilot hole if needed than the whole core!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

What he said. Best option.