Dbl Glazing spec

Hi all. I have medium sized mid terrace house that has large bay windows. These bay windows are the usual style with a stone support pillars either side of the centre window pane. I have cheap wooden single glazed system in place at the moment which has internal fascia boards covering the internal view of the stone pillars. I want to convert to dbl glazing. But I think it would be more attractive if the stone pillars where visible. So my question is, is it ok to spec a dbl glazing system that doesn't require these fascias?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

Normally the pillars in Victorian terraced houses are of the "Sandstone", type?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Are you allowed to have exposed pillars inside - they will have poor insulation ? Maybe the internal facias are insulated ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Thanks.

I'm leaning toward the thought that if the upvc frames are fitted well,

the sandstone pillars wouldn't be a significant heat loss source.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

The house I'm buying has concrete/stone (not sure) pillars around the curved bay, The windows are wooden single-glazed and fit entirely inside the pillars, such that the window sill is actually very narrow. I'll have to think about this when I get round to replacing the windows. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In the context of replacement windows this is not a bay. It is 3 flat windows fitted into 3 apertures so bay support poles are not required. The new windows would be fitted to the brick(stone)work in each section so I guess that you can do what you wish with the internal cladding. If existing windows are vertical sash sliders, as is often the case in this type of property, then you might have an issue with the old sash boxes. Otherwise, no problem.

Reply to
Ziggur