Damaged worktop: what to do

you pay through the nose for granite - probably about 5 times what laminated chip costs, but the result is worth it.

Its been through a volcano already. hot pans wont touch it.Frankly that or stainless steel are the two best alternatives.

Make up a paper template and go to a monumental mason (grave stones) and get it cut to size.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hadn't thought of the stone mason option: thanks!

There's three pieces: a short 1M breakfast bar, another 0.6M rectangle and, the largest, an L-shape, around 3M x 2.5M on the outside of the L with cut-outs for the sink and gas hob in the longer leg. Presumably, the latter comes in two sections with a diagonal join across the corner of the L? Or a bishops mitre?

How do I seal the joint between them and make sure they don't move apart?

well granite doesn't MOVE as such..

I suppose a black epoxy is about where its at for the gap.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I assumed the weight would hold it in place but wondered if it might creep over time.

car body filler will nail it down - or silicone or anything. Gap filling is less easy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I did notice that ALDI had black granite pan rests on sale yesterday.

As an interim quick fix you might want to get one.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

When we got a new kitchen fitted a few years back after just a couple of weeks son put a hot pan on it and blistered a small patch no bigger than say square inch. Once my temper calmed I took time to smooth with wet & dry and then used a black marker pen, maybe had to redo a couple of times a year (pen) lasted 10 years until we sold the house. You may need to use a couple of different coloured markers say black and gray to give a better effect. The problem with damage like this is you can camouflage quite well and hide it from the casual onlooker but you still know its there. Not once did anyone notice it on my worktop in 10 years but every morning I made a coffee my eye was drawn to it. F...ing son :-)

Reply to
ss

How did you deal with the hole that was left when you removed the blistered surface?

From memory I dont recall filling it with anything as I am sure the blister was only slightly raised and fine sanding pretty much levelled it. Apparently he let a pot boil dry, picked it up to put under tap and the handle was roasting hot so put it on the worktop til he grabbed a towel to lift it, so it was only on the work surface a few seconds (I think) enough to damage it but maybe not as much if left longer.

Reply to
ss

I had the same problem with burn on black worktop. I peeked off the brittle part an painted a few coats of black nail varnish and used a small but of white nail varnush to give it a mottled look like the worktop. Hardly visible.

Reply to
maryaflynn1950

Doubt if hes still interested after 7 years

Reply to
sintv