Cutting plaster coving with a power saw

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but would it be harmful or detrimental to the blade etc if I was to use a 240v mitre saw for cutting plaster coving?

TIA

Reply to
Mighty Magpie

It will make lots of dust, and you will need a fairly decent size of saw. Other than that it ought to be ok. I would use an old blade though since the plaster is abrasive and take the edge off the blade.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think you're gonna need a fine toothed blade as well? my mind is telling me it will shatter the coving if the start cut is done on the fragile edges.

Best do a test cut first to be on safe side and if possible work outside as MrRumm said dust flying everywhere.

Reply to
George

Wot he said, plus: Why do you want to use a power tool at all? I would have though a cheap throw-away hard-point saw would be best. Note that although a good mitre saw will cut very accurate mitres, I bet your walls aren't that close to square! (Err, unless you built them yourself.) You will need to patch up the join anyway.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I used a circular saw for cutting some plasterboard (needed lots of pieces 1" x 6'6"). The blade had no problems, but the dust got into every bit of the saw, and wrecked it (nothing slides or pivots as it should do anymore).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks to all who responded. You have confirmed what I probably suspected anyway and I am grateful for that

Cheers.

Reply to
Mighty Magpie