cutting down a 4 panel door - do-able?

Need a door to fit existing doorway but 69&1/40inch tall... Too much to take off std 78" door so- Anyone disassembled a ready made 4 panel door shortened it then reassembled successfully?

Gotchas? Tips?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

off std 78" door so-

successfully?

I have done this and it was a long process and still looked like a ducks arse job.

Ask a local carpenter for a quote for a bespoke one. You might get a nice surprise and exactly what you want and quite quickly.

Reply to
Ericp

ake off std 78" door so-

ed successfully?

Not viable. You would never get the joints apart with modern glues.

Reply to
harry

Pretty sure you can get "short" doors but not from the sheds. Try a proper builders merchant or timber place.

Taking the best part of 9" off isn't going to work esthetically, the panels will be almost if not actaully beyond the end of the door. You'd need to shorten the panel infills as well and as someone else has said getting the thing apart with modern glues will be next to impossible.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I found some old doors that had been thrown on a bonfire but fortunately not burnt a lot of years ago - they were lovely pine and pitch pine face ply. I did get them to come apart so that I could recycle them as cupboard doors, but that was predominantly a timber recovery activity.

I do have one door in this cottage renovation that for some reason (not thinking at the time possibly :>( ) had to have more cut off it than was mechanically desirable and I had to dowel the joints to retain strength. It's been there so long now that its rather narrow top rail is not noticed now.

I think I would go with the others and suggest the local cabinet maker / carpenter.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

off std 78" door so-

successfully?

Sure Tommy Walsh did this[1]. It involves taking the door completely apart, cutting the panels and any mouldings reducing the stiles in length NOT width, then reassemble everything. The joints for the stiles may well be problematic (sure the one he had was mortice and tenon but with wedges to keep the mortice in the tenon (so no glue) however if it is a modern cheapy (FSVO cheap) door and the stiles have been glued/stapled you may well not get them apart easily, if at all. The panels should just be floating in the stiles . Remember there were two of them and they are both pukka gen builders and this was a TV show so no idea how long they had to plan it how many edits they had etc. If you are anything like me the job won't look 100% when you are finished.

It may/should/would be easier (probably cheaper in the long run too) just to get a bespoke door made.

[1] In his Reclaimers series with Will Mockett
Reply to
soup

off std 78" door so-

successfully?

I remember seeing that. He made a bollix of it. They were careful not to give a clear view of the finished door

Reply to
fred

how about a "simple" cut & shut job in the upper panel area? - remove the 9 & 3/4" necessary, then biscuit joint/dowel the stiles back together and glue and clamp the panels where they meet, fill, paint?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

That's pretty much what I did with the Ikea doors for the kitchen unit unde r the sink. (The unit itself was a hand-made thing to fit the French Farmhou se sink.)

Admittedly, that was only the door to a kitchen unit, but I don't see why it should work for an internal door. (Obviously, if the upper panel is fielded at all, it won't work so well ... )

Reply to
Martin Bonner