cover for swich

For some reason the builder of my house located the isolator switch to my central heating boiler right next to the hall light switch. A few times now the boiler switch has been accidentally turned off thus turning off the central heating. My house cleaner is the biggest sinner and I have told her many times but it doesn't seem to sink in so I keep coming home to a freezing cold house and the poor cat is sitting on his bed shivering!!
Is there a cover I can purchase to put over the switch that would not require the whole switch being replaced?
TIA
Angela

MK make a switch in their 'grid' range that has a removable key - you see them for the lights in public places.
You will need the switch, a frame and a front plate - they fit in a standard wall box: This is from TLC http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/ :
MKK3631 1 Gang White Grid Plate 0.96 ea. 1 0.96 MKK3701 1 Gang Grid Mountng Frame 1.07 ea. 1 1.07 MKK4917 20 Amp DP 1 Way Secret Key Grid Switch 5.45 ea. 1 5.45
I use one for the porch light which is passive i/r so needs to be left on.
Andrew Mawson

you see

standard
5.45
left on.

thanks Andrew I looked at that - thanks for the link. My switch is one of those with a fuse next to it - would this still be appropriate?
Angela

Get a 2 gang plate and frame and a fuse module. The 2 gang is the same external size as the 1 gang, so it won't take more space.
Christian.

This is for child safety really but would do for your needs too:
http://www.beldray.com/safety/socketguard.htm
They come in both single socket and double socket sizes, so a single sized one would fit over your light switch plate because the sizes of these things are all standardised in the UK. Give them a call or an e-mail and find out more. They are cheap enough buy if you can find out where all the stockists are.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Guessing a bit as to exactly the layout of your switch, drill a hole vertically into the bit you press using a small drill bit (say 1/8"), and insert a small metal rod such as a nail or a bit of wire so that it protrudes enough to prevent the switch from being operated unless the wire is removed first? This bit of metal could be filed to be neat and even painted to match.
Rob Graham

And also inserted in such a way as to make contact with the live terminals inside the switch. Not a great idea at all in my mind.

It's not necessary to drill the thing in such a way as to make this a risk.
Rob

But the OP doesn't even want to get involved with changing the switch, so don't you think she'll be out of her depth safely drilling holes into an existing switch to modify it? David

terminals
risk.
Thanks David. I didn't want to answer against such a crazy idea. Let's all drill holes through or into our electrical sockets and switches. :-))

live terminals

this a risk.

switch,
I hate electricity - I think I would rather chop my cleaners fingers off that drill into a light socket ! :o)
I think I may invent a plastic cap and just stick it over with a fairly light glue that would come off easily of needed..................I just want it for stopping it accidentally turned off!
Thanks everyone.
Angela

Reminds me of GEC's computer room where I used to work (size of a very large school gym) full of computers, with a big red button right next to the light switch. Sure enough, on one night, the cleaner reached round to switch off the lights, and everything went off, except the lights. Strangely enough, that big red button did have a perspex guard all round it.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:54:05 UTC, "Angela"

I've seen (Betterware used to do them, for example) a small self-adhesive latch that stuck to the face of a switch. A small lug then folded over the front of the switch to hold it, but could be unsnapped to move the switch.
Alternatively, you can get single and double gang boxes to cover the entire switch, with a snap on lid. Requires temporary removal of the switch plate tough (held to wall by switch plate).
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk