Lack of Attic Insutlation from House Builder

I had need to be up in my attic crawl space recently, and I noticed that in the area immediately above the plumbing wall that is common to my kitchen and to the bathroom, there was no insulation at all.

Is there any logical reason for the missing insultation other than that the space is narrower than the normal distance between joists and the batts of insulation would not fit, unless cut ?

I suppose that I should simply add what I believe is missing, but thought that I would ask here first. I think that at least in the area around the stack/vent insulation should be added, since this leads directly into an unheated basement, etc.

Thanks.

Vince Long Island, NY

Reply to
Vince

New house? Call the builder for an inspection. Probably the worker bees just got lazy.

Reply to
SQLit

Fill the gap at the top of the wall with a fiberglass batt. Otherwise rou would have to blow the whole wall cavity full. Put the vapor barrier on the "warm in winter" side if you are in a heating dominant climate. If you are in a mixed climate, skip the vapor barrier. If you are in a cooling dominant climate, put the vapor barrier on the "cold in winter" side.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

that's where you run the tv cable and internet wires. :)

i know an insulation company here is booked with jobs for 2 trucks and crews for 8 weeks ahead.

Reply to
buffalobill

Welcome to the world of sleazy developers, crooked contractors, drugged up and hung over American workers, and Mexican "Manuel Laboro" illegals that can't understand their foreman's ( who doesn't care anyway) English. If that's all that's wrong with your house, you did really well. But it does not bode well, you might have a pro home inspector look it over carefully, there might be other things like faulty electricals that could cause a fire, waxed nails that could make the house fall apart, a missing moisture barrier that could lead to mold, or many other things. I have even seen a house where the builder buried an old washer with holes shot through it instead of a septic tank.-Jitney

Reply to
jtnospam