Cover Fireplace Temporarily

Hi all

Looking at the roof yesterday I noticed that the area around the flue terminal had no snow. Obviously a likely scenario if we used the fire, but we don't. So there must be some serious volumes of our expensively heated air disappearing out of the roof.

The fire is a gas coal effect Kinder Nevada FWIW and I was thinking about either: Fitting a cardboard cover above the coals to block the flue outlet OR Covering the whole fire place frame with cling film.

Any comments?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Oh, yes indeed.

We have an open fireplace in our living room and vast quantities of hot air vanish up it, if we allow it.

I made a board covered in carpet that blocks up our fireplace when not in use. It makes a huge difference.

Reply to
Huge

Coal effects are never efficient:

Heat input - high 6.5kW Heat input - low 4.2kW Heat output - high 3.5kW Heat out put - low 1.5kW

3K to give you the glowing coal effect

Guess depends how well your family are provided for.

CO poisioning is going to be unpleasant for someone to have to discover....

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

OOPs having just read that the fire is of course out of use, couled you move it temporarirly and use a chimney balloon?

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Blocking the flue doesn't sound clever in case someone in the future uses or tries to use the fire without realising it has been blocked .

Covering the complete fire sounds a better idea although not particularly attractive but I'm assuming you don't mind that .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Chimney ballon, either commercial or home made from a bin bag loosely stuffed with newspaper.

Firmly attach a brightly coloured ribbon or something obvious that hangs down over the "coals" to remind you that it's up there.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Usenet Nutter" wrote

Whatever I do it will be clearly visible. Whether I can get away with this aesthetically is another matter!!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Copies of L'Equipe for example ? :-)

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

In article , TheScullster writes

The flue outlet on that model appears to be high up at the back, can you see it easily from the front looking up? If you can then you could cover the opening with tape for winter. I've done this on one of mine with some 2" wide pvc insulating tape. If it has a larger visible outlet you could create a mat of tape from multiple strips. Parcel tape would do but it will leave a residue when peeled off and smell when that is burnt off.

Thinish tape will melt and burn off if the fire is accidentally lit, highlighting the error from the smell (of burning plastic) and reopening the flue to reduce the CO hazard.

Reply to
fred

Some of the heat loss calculators allow around 1kW lost up an open flue.

You have to ventilate a flue top and bottom, so you can't completely block it. However, the methods you suggest probably wouldn't block it well enough to cause problems. Given there's still a gas fire, any blocking needs to be obvious and render the fire unusable.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel