Cost of someone's labour

The actual wording is:

"Rest breaks 12. - (1) Where an adult worker's daily working time is more than six hours, he is entitled to a rest break.

(2) The details of the rest break to which an adult worker is entitled under paragraph (1), including its duration and the terms on which it is granted, shall be in accordance with any provisions for the purposes of this regulation which are contained in a collective agreement or a workforce agreement.

(3) Subject to the provisions of any applicable collective agreement or workforce agreement, the rest break provided for in paragraph (1) is an uninterrupted period of not less than 20 minutes, and the worker is entitled to spend it away from his workstation if he has one."

As you will see, there is no mention of when the break will be taken if it is not covered in a collective agreement or a workforce agreement and it is wrong to infer any conditions that are not specifically stated in the regulations.

As I said, there is no requirement for a break after a maximum of six hours, so that logic is not relevant.

Yes, they must have an uninterrupted break of at least 12 hours.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Not in law. However, workforce or collective agreements may vary the regulations, provided that they do not give less than the law requires.

My father was a shop steward in the TGWU.

Our wages are much more complicated than that as there are productivity and responsibility bonuses to be calculated. If I see the same wages for the same person two weeks in a row, I check that I haven't been given the wrong week's figures by mistake. However, that is what we have computers for.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I showed this thread to my 16 year old son, his girlfriend and my 18 year old daughter. Their consensus after discussion was that £5.50 per hour was a fair and on-the-generous side amount for the work and for £60 a day you'd have a good worker and a friend for life.

Reply to
Geoffrey

Look at NuLab's legislation with your remaking eye too!

You are going to _employ_ someone to do work for you;

# Are you paying him, at least, the legal minimum wage per hour? # Are you paying the employer's National Insurance Contribution? # have you ascertained his bona-fides with respect to nationality, right-to-work, National Insurance Number etc.? # Have you carried out a site-safety review? # Will you provide him with appropriate safe tools and assure yourself that he has the correct safety equipment, boots, hard-hat gloves ... and there's no more important safety rule than these .. safety glasses. # Is the work-site equipped with first-aid station, rest facilities, first-aid fire-fighting equipment? # Do you, as the employer, have employee liability insurance policy in place, paid-up and certificate available for inspection by your employee. # What payments are your reserving for his holiday pay, sick-pay and paternity pay?

Suddenly, the rates charged by a genuine trader don't seem too excessive do they? Have your sons, daughter and girlfriends ever 'run a whelk stall'?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Thanks for that Geoffrey, very interesting to have the opinion of people around the same age as my mate's son (although, of course, I don't know the age of anyone else who has replied to my enquiry so there may have been others as well).

My mate and I have known each other since starting school together 43 years ago and I would never dream of taking advantage of his lad just because he's only 16 (mind you, I'd never take advantage of anyone, long-standing friend or not), so I thought I'd find out what most people regarded as fair and reasonable, then add on a bit more because of who he is, ie, the son of a lifelong and good friend rather than just a stranger.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve

It happens that T i m formulated :

There attitude changes as they develop. They seem to start off as toddlers fighting you help, then once into their teens everything becomes too much trouble :-)

They seem to regain a proper perspective and purpose once out of their teens.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It is not how old or fit you are, its how good you are at plodding onwards and upwards, plus of course knowing how to best tackle jobs to conserve what little energy you do have.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The testosterone problem :-((

Don't believe it, they don't! I have a twenty-seven year old son who, despite not living in my house for nigh on 10 years, has not yet left home.

When he visits he looks in the fridge for food he can eat without asking. Says he _needs_ to look at his hot mail account via my broad band account. Thinks that he cab borrow, beg or steel anything that we own.

Don't get me wrong, he is a good lad and son, but his attitude wants calming by the intervention of a woman :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave