Cost of someone's labour

He'll be working largely unsupervised. On a job where he was, and the rate of work was dictated by someone else, an hourly rate is appropriate. If it's job and finish, best to have a price for the entire job. That way if he decides to work hard and finish early, or take his time with plenty of tea breaks, it's good value for both.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It would be twice as expensive to get the professionals to do it though and the bonus does not have to be paid if he does not come up to scratch.

If the OP wants to get the lad to do more work later, he will be a lot more willing if he got a fair deal in the first place.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Over 18s only get 20 minutes statutory break, if they work for more than six hours.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The Working Time Regulations 1998, paragraph 12 (4), which deals with rest breaks for young workers.

WTR 1998 paragraph 12 (1) specifies that an adult worker whose working day is longer than six hours is entitled to a rest break. Paragraph 12 (3) specifies that, in the absence of any collective or workforce agreement, the break shall be an uninterrupted period of not less than 20 minutes. When the break shall be taken is not specified nor is a second break a requirement of the regulations.

Again, that only applies to an adult worker.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I did say *started* - of course some bugger goes and shifts the goalposts every so often anyway ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yeah, like that would be really useful ...

:-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Snip

I would work out how many days it should take and use you figure of £40 a day and pay it as a set lump sum. I would have been happy with that a

  1. Oh don't forget to provide safety kit gloves, googles, dustmask etc.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

"nightjar .uk.com>"

I've madethat point too.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

For decorating?

Isn't that a bit over the top??

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But that 20 mins is part of the 6 hours, so you should only "work" for

5h40m at a stretch. ISTR that the clock starts at your personal start time as well, yes personal times can be different to those that the employer thinks they are asking.

I must admit that the =A33/hr minimum wage for 16/17 year olds strikes me as very low. I bet many 16/17 year olds are doing the same work as "adults"... And the differing break structure must be a nightmare for anyone employing youngsters spaning the 17/18 age break point.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ahh, so you are happy to speak for all the people who ever spoke to Oscar Wild, but not for all the kids?

Reply to
Richard Conway

I don't know anyone called Oscar Wild so can't speak for him or his friends :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You should meet him - he's wild that boy, I tell you :)

Reply to
Richard Conway

Never met him, but I did once meet Oscar Slightlymiffed.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

If an adult worker only gets the statutory minimum daily rest (11 hours) and rest break (20 minutes), it is inevitable that at least one continuous period of work will exceed six hours and five minutes.

I was surprised, but I don't pay minimum adult wage either, so it is not something I need to know.

I sometimes get asked by my regular employees whether their teenage children can work in the school holidays. I don't have young worker rates for jobs, so they get paid what an adult would get.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

He might be useless - when me and my friend were 16 we set off to become window cleaners. Half way up the street before even the first job we decided the ladder was too heavy and this wasn't for us. At that age we weren't worth much at all. Actually a lot fitter and worth more now at 60 even as a labourer! (well I think so anyway)

cheers Jacob

Reply to
jacob

nightjar I sometimes get asked by my regular employees whether their teenage children

Not having a clue what sort of work is involved, do you reckon you get as much work out of them as an adult?

David

Reply to
Lobster

It is mostly light assembly work and I have found they produce better work than adult agency workers of similar experience level. I suspect that working next to mum or dad has an influence on the quality of their work, which is probably more important than the speed. It takes about four months to reach maximum production speed, so they cannot produce as much as an experienced worker, but that is allowed for in a productivity bonus that forms part of the wage package.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

It is. If the working day is longer than 6 hours. Which means 6 hours after starting work there *must* be a break of 20 minutes or longer. Of course it may be earlier. (any such break is not paid for or credited as working hours)

Think you'll find it is. After all, why would it make sense to require a 'lunch' break after a maximum of 6 hours, but not an 'evening' one when the worker is likely to be more tired?

Then there will be a restriction on the total hours worked per day of a juvenile.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Isn't there another (paid) rest break due some time after the end of the first (unpaid) 20 min break? 5 1/2hrs springs to mind but that value might just be the common practice of the companies I work for. You can't start or end a duty period with a break either.

Well done. That old union chant "equal work, equal pay". B-)

Mind you it also keeps the admin and cashflow/forecast simple. X Class

1 bods at Y =A3/hr for Zhrs is a damn sight easier to work out than X1 Class 1 bods at Y1 =A3/hr for Z1hrs plus X2 Class 1 bods at Y2 =A3/hr fo= r Z2hrs plus ... etc
Reply to
Dave Liquorice