cosstings for a (mosstly DIY) garage

Hi all, Sig. Other and I have just had offer accepted on a Nice Hice, need a garage to hide the junk in, and are wondering whether to DIY it as far as poss. We've paced out the space, spotted the runs of the drains, looks like we'd get a 12ft by 24ft (internal) garage in OK, once a couple of stumps are dug out. We both want a tiled pitched roof (STPP) for storage so no fink trusses, S.O. wants nice traditional doors (side hinged in panels, little square window panes at the top), side door and roof lights rather than windows.

Seems we have a few options:

1) Hire a local builder, get the lot done all in one go with a bit of guidance from ourselves;

2) Hire a local builder, get the lot done all in one go with a bit of guidance from ourselves, shopping around for best prices on maerials;

3) Hire the same fella, leave it in his hands to get the shell up and watertight, source materials and fit out the electricals, doors and windows etc. ourselves;

4) Hire local builder to build the foundations and concrete base, build up from there ourselves (I knew I'd justify the tool-fetish spending one day!);

5) Hire a mini-digger, buy a cement mixer, order n! cubic metres of readymix, do the lot ourselves...

Obviously no.1 will be most expensive, quickest and easiest, but we do have to budget... and we haven't too much idea what it'd cost us :o|

Anyone have similar experiences to share, and/or ideas as to the costs involved? We're on the Surrey/Hants border, so extortionate rates from builders to bear in mind... Also, any hints on the concrete base, eg thickness, reinforcement, foundation requirements? It wont be habitable or attached to habitable, so I'm guessing Building Regs won't be onerous (or possibly won't apply), but we do want it to be fairly solid, secure and durable :o)

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions/recommendations/wild guesses

Dave H. (The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

Reply to
Dave H.

I've recently built one to these specs:

12ft X 21ft Base: 6 inch of concrete, deepening to about 9 inches at the edges for the walls. Walls: single concrete block all around, the LH side was 8ft 6, the other side 10ft in height. Roof, 8 X 4 timbers on a single slope, with 25mm plywood boarding, finished with torch-on green mineral roofing felt. Gutters, facia boards, one timber framed, non opening window and a normal door (it was a workshop) Eelctrics: two X fluorescent lights, 5 X double sockets

Total including materials, skips, labour and everything else: £4,500...we are in Lancashire.

Reply to
Phil L

Thanks Phil, gives me a first clue as to the easy option!