Cordless Drill recommendation

A friend wants a cordless drill for general DIY around the home. Not too heavy, and with batteries that keep a reasonable charge between uses. Any recommendations up to £100?

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob

Definitely go for NiMH or Lithium ion, don't touch NiCad (which are still around, e.g. on cut price De Walt, I think).

I'd say a spare battery and a big charger so that they recharge in an hour is more important than voltage. I've had a 14.4 volt Ryobi which has had heavy use. I had to re-cell one battery last year but that has still been reliable, nice to use, and good value. Makita always gets good reviews.

If I were in the trade I'd want pro models with hammer action. As a domestic user I manage fine with mains hammer drills (a Ryobi again for normal, and a budget SDS for big holes) and just use the cordless for drilling wood (up to

1 inch) and metal (up to about 1/4 inch) and driving screws.
Reply to
newshound

Gotta be the bargain of the century

The Medway Handyman

> --

I'd certainly have one, if I were shopping.

Reply to
newshound

John Rumm

Possibly, but Screwfix had a combi drill (14.4v or possibly 18v NiMh) and an SDS drill (GBH 2-24 iirc) in a package deal for under a ton early last year.

Reply to
The Other Mike

>Many thanks you and everyone. I got that one, Screwfix is nearby. Quite fancy it for myself now!

Rob

Reply to
Rob