Cordless Drill Recommendation

Got a few large projects coming up this summer beginning with the laying of a large deck. What makes/models of cordless drill should I be considering? Ideally something capable of driving screws treated wood so high torque application and ones with fast battery re-charge etc?

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorl

- Makita

- Metabo, DeWalt, Bosch (blue)

in that order. An 18v Makita would be a good choice for middle to heavy work.

Look for a deal with two batteries.

Avoid DIY store own brands and certainly cheap products elsewhere being sold with 24 and 32v as a benefit.

Good torque, control, ergonomics and battery operation come from a quality branded product with decent batteries, mechanics and electronic controls.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I lay lots of decks & I recently bought this package;

drill driver is superb & like most Makita stuff punches well above it's weight. This 12v jobby will out perform most cheapo 14:4v.

The impact driver is simply awesome! I have never seen anything put screws in so fast. Its also kickback free, so one handed use is easy. Putting in No8 x 2 1/2" decking screws is so fast you don't have time to pick up the next screw before the first one is in.

Also puts in M6 x 90mm Turbo gold coach screws for framing in seconds.

Came with three batteries & a 30 min charger.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Cheers Guys, just the kind of recommendation I was after. I shall be ordering one of them tomorrow :)

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorl

I doubt that you will be dissapointed with it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have the same drill driver and while I agree it punches above its weight, for heavy duty driving and augering in timber my 18V Lidl cheapo leaves it standing. Well it did until the batteries deteriorated in less that a year when I decided to try a better brand. Happy with the 12V Makita but I think its overtorqued for the quality of battery and it threatens to smoke even before it approaches stall which it will do augering 10mm. The Lidl never had a good enough battery to threaten the motor. Maybe that is actually better design. Using the 12V Makita now I frequently miss a 13mm chuck and also the better balance of the slightly heavier drill. Quality against value, for me the jury is still out.

However you lay more decks than me so that's a good recommendation.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

I know what you mean, its horses for courses. I also carry a 14:4v Wickes/Kress on the van for bigger jobs. The 12v Makita is much better for jobs like curtain rails etc where the light weight & compact size are a boon. I will probably replace the 1:2 a/h batteries with bigger ones when they start to go.

I use the Wickes/Kress for drilling and the Makita impact driver for driving bolts & screws - as I said its awesome. Wish I'd bought one years ago.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

B&Q are selling an 18 v version of these two drills with three batteries. No plastic box for the noisy one though. =A3160. Not bad I nearly bought a set. But my MaCallister 18 v is quite good enough.

Mine doesn't hold a charge for more than a few days if I don't use it when I get to need one it is invariably flat.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I work with cordless drills all the time all day long and I would never ever advise makita they just dont have any power and they dont last either bosch are ok if you get Lithiom Ion but the Dewalt 925 is better but by far the best and in a completley different field is the milwaukee V28 with 15 mins charge it will do more work than any 18v i have ever used and far better built too

Cheers Al

Reply to
gsxr

Only 10mm chuck unfortunately. I was tempted to get one of these

(but I didn't so I can't tell you if it's as good as it looks!)

But for what the OP wants the impact wrench looks like the mutt's wotsits

Reply to
John Stumbles

This is nonsense.

Were you ever taught punctuation at school?

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 01:48:05 +0100, Andy Hall mused:

In this instance I'd be more concerned about the lack of any knowledge on the subject of drills.

Reply to
Lurch

Mmm... I was using the word 'nonsense' in both contexts.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Can you actually read the brand labels on the tools or do you go by colour? Makita are generally accepted to be the best cordless tools if any one brand had to be chosen.

So basically you *don't* work with a variety of cordless makes all the time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm just mildly amused that someone wants to be known as the 44th person to choose "kneedown" as their user name. Stunning lack of originality shown there.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Just wanted to post back that the drill you suggested excelled in its role and the 1500+ screws later the deck is now in situ. All it needs is a large white 'H' painted on it!

The Makita worked perfectly, the batteries lasted fine and with three supplied and a 30min charge cycle having no charged battery was never an issue. Oh and the impact driver is pretty good too!

Thanks again for the reccomendation.