copper nails

Can anyone tell me where to buy some?

Next door neighbour chain sawed a couple of trees down and the root of one of them has grown under my garden path and is stopping me from opening my back gate.

I suppose my next question will be, where can I hire an adze to hack off the top of the root, until I can kill the tree.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

All together now, what's our favourite tool?

A.....

Alternatively, a mattock is really useful, very good for this job, and not expensive

Reply to
newshound

Most builders merchants, they are used for roofing.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Its almost immoral to hire hand tools, theyre not expensive and any type of axe would do fine. A drill would also do it, chisel, all sorts of options.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Use an SDS drill fitted with a chisel.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Just remember that you could end up being charged with criminal damage. if you do kill the tree. You are entitled to cut the root back to your boundary assuming it does not have a preservation order on it but you have to give the wood back to the owner. It might sound obvious but have you asked your neighbour to remove the offending part of the tree?

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Another vote for a mattock - one of the best garden tools I have ever bought. I've just been using it to remove tree stumps and it is very good for chopping up tree roots.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

In article , Peter Crosland writes

Criminal damage to a stump?

Reply to
fred

AIUI you have to *offer* the wood to the owner of the tree, which is not quite the same thing. Whenever I've asked a neighbour if they want to have the overhanging branch I've cut off, they've always said no!

Richard.

Richard Russell

a computer connected to UK.D-i-y

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Very much so. Even though it may appear trivial in a way it is nevertheless criminal damage. People have been convicted for less in the past.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

In article , Peter Crosland writes

Go on Peter, admit it, you missed the bit where the o/p said the tree had been felled ;-)

Reply to
fred

In article , fred writes

Withdrawn with apologies, _I_ misread the o/p's original on intending to kill off the stump.

Reply to
fred

I could only buy aluminium roofing nails last time I looked.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

No problem. I was wrong when I said that you have to give the bits to the tree owner as has been npointed out.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Thanks, I'll take a look on our second hand market for one.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

From other comments, an axe might be a cheap alternative to a one off problem.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Ah yes, standard issue at our local Adventure Playground.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Then try a boat builder. You'll want one who deals with classic boats mind, not the modern plastic things.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ