cooker hood venting frustration

Hello,

It seems the cooker hood was used in recirculating mode, which does nothing to reduce condensation or humidity.

I bought some 204mm channel, thinking it would be brick size and I could simply remove a brick

Only to find that my kitchen cupboards are half a brick out of alignment, so I guess I'll have to remove two brocks and mortar the gap or find some cunning way of cutting a brick in half.

It would have been too simple if the duct could have just perfectly aligned with one brick!

I see there is now a join with seals:

What real advantage does this have over:

The cooker hood is, as you would expect, very greasy and I would like to replace it. It seems the chimney style is in fashion but I'd rather have something more discrete.

I've noticed many stores that sell ovens etc. don't really have display models of hoods. Perhaps they are not expensive enough to justify the space? It's a shame as I would like to see one before buying.

Has anyone used a "traditional" hood like this:

And is it any good or is a built-in one, like this:

better? (for example does a bigger model have a bigger fan?) or are you only paying for the name and looks?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Stephen presented the following explanation :

We had one of those fitted for a while to extract via a duct to outside, until it failed. It was never that effective and the motor in the airflow didn't help its life.

I replaced it some months ago with one of these

It is much more effective, almost twice the airflow rate, the motor is not in the airflow and it copes easily on its 2nd of three speeds most of the time.

I would not even consider installing one in the recirculation mode, because they simply trap grease and the moisture is just returned to the room. Extract is the only sensible way.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

We thought it was worth getting something fairly powerful, and we got this:

Very happy with it, quiet and powerful. Only need it on the lowest setting to avoid condensation on the windows when boiling stuff on several pans without lids.

I'm sure there are equivalent from other manufactures in chimney and other styles.

If you get a feeble one it has to be mounted rather low down, which means you either bump your head on it or it blocks your view - I've even seen them mounted below eye-line ! We put ours just over 6 foot up, so just out of the way of my head. And my wife (5"1') can just reach the buttons !

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

We had this at our last house, the angle saved bumped heads without affecting effectiveness. I would have it again except we do not have the space in our current kitchen configuration maybe after a remodelling. We bought online and not at this silly price.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

One of them is self sealing, the other needs taping or solvent welding.

Reply to
ARW