Converting your angle grinder to a bench grinder

I am NOT going to try this!:

Matty F

The Medway Handyman

to use it.

Reply to
PeterC

I noticed that.

I dunno. With the addition of a fence and wearing a full suit of ballistic armour, it might be fairly safe...

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

bench saw by inverting a hand-held circular.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Perhaps.

I don't remember a riving knife on my B+D attachment.

Inadequate mountings aside, this thing has far superior drag and trap issues. I suppose a work rest above the spindle axis might save some of his fingers.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Andy Dingley coughed up some electrons that declared:

What about the 70's trick of making a circular saw by sticking a blade in your electric drill!

Reply to
Tim S

Jon Fairbairn coughed up some electrons that declared:

That would be the weak point IMO.

Let's get this in perspective - this is a tool that you normally hold (some people one handed).

The weakness above AFAICS:

a) The single point mounting - if that tool rotates the blade is going to snare on the side of the slot and probably break.

b) Unlike when holding the tool, the operator is potentially exposed to the disc edge - ie if the disc shatters, he will get bits of it in the face. That could be solved by working from behind or from the side.

I'm not saying it's a good idea as stands - but let's be objective here :)

Reply to
Tim S

I have actually done that, once, and still have the hands to show for it :)

(ISTR I needed to trim some already-thin strips down by a 1/4" or so, and didn't have anything more useful handy at the time - so I flipped the saw over, rigged up a jig on the base, and then fed the strips through)

Not so sure about that grinder - whichever way it's turning it looks like it's prone to either throwing the workpiece against the shield or jamming it against the table, neither of which seem like a Good Thing - if it were a little higher with some clearance under the disc (and strapped/bolted down at the rear as someone mentioned!) then it might not be so bad (apart from the insanely high speed issue :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

the "bloody hell can they get any cheaper?" list. Last time I looked at buying a bench grinder they cost less than a Kg of cheese.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I wonder how long it takes to set light to a tupperware box as you fill it with red-hot metal filings ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wibbled:

That sounds like an excellent objective :_0

Reply to
Tim S

In message , Matty F writes

Reply to
geoff

I managed earlier this year accidentally to convert a 9" angle grinder into a surgical tool. Three months later my stitched-up tendons were more-or-less healed and I could use the hand, but it's still got no strength in it. Personally I wouldn't fart about with angle grinders ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

were excessive and the grinding wheel burst on the first run. The police initially thought he had been the victim of some explosive device.

Reply to
onetap

That web page omits one essential move that would actually make it to some extent sanely usable: run the grinder off 24v (or thereabouts).

NT

Reply to
NT

Did similar two years ago with a 4" grinder, sweat shirt I was wearing jammed the disc & stopped the machine, but not before it took a lump out of my inner forearm. Still got the scar.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've been using a cut off disk in my Skilsaw for years to cut reinforcing steel and steel plate up to 4mm. My boss thought this was dangerous. Is he wrong? An experienced engineer thought it was OK. I was wearing safety glasses, earmuffs and leather gloves. There's a metal guard around the disk and the work was securely clamped with 4 clamps on a metal table..

Reply to
Matty F