Convera Sockets in Skirting Boards?

I've moved into a new house & need some electrical work done, including changing some single sockets in skirting boards to doubles.

I've had two electricians round. One said that he thought that regulations now permitted sockets in skirting boards (after banning them for a period) and that he'd recommend installing new double sockets & boxes in the skirting boards.

The other said that it was contrary to regs and he couldn't do anything to the sockets in the skirting boards, but suggested that a perfectly reasonable thing for me to do would be to fit Converta sockets to them (in fact he said that he'd supply them for me).

My questions are - are Converta sockets fairly standard, creditable things to use or something that only a bodger would touch.

Also is it OK to have them in skirting boards - both in terms of regs and in terms of what's sensible (not always the same thing).

Michael

Reply to
michaeld121

I've never used them (or even seen them!) so I'll let others comment on that. They are very widely available though, so presumably are kosher.

Do you mean the electrician will supply them for you to fit? Don't do that, you'll be able to get them far cheaper yourself directly. Eg, item 88126 at

(they also do a 1 -> 3 version as well as the 1 -> 2, by the way.

Personally I can't be doing with sockets in skirting boards. They sit proud of the wall and are likely to get damaged, and/or (eg) prevent furniture from going back against the skirting board. It wouldn't be allowed in a new installation because they need to be 450mm off the floor (for disabled people) but that doesn't apply to you; I don't know what other rules there may be about skirting boards per se. But I can't see why it would be any better or worse than it is now if you go ahead and fit Convertas.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

I'm pretty sure he is wrong, but I'd steer clear of anyone who called themselves an electrician and 'thought' something. His job is to know.

Fair enough.

I've used them where I didn't want to disprupt things. They are fine, just bit more unsightly as they sit more proud of the surface.

Not ok to fit new sockets there AIUI, but fine to fit replacement sockets faceplates. I don't like them - they get in the way, can put a strain on flexes exiting plugs, and are ugly, but in this situation I would consider fitting the converta sockets for now and then put in some new sockets mounted up in the wall when I redecorated the room.

Reply to
chris French

I've had two electricians round. One said that he thought that regulations now permitted sockets in skirting boards (after banning them for a period) and that he'd recommend installing new double sockets & boxes in the skirting boards.

Hope you havn't taken this bloke on? a sparks needs to keep up with the regulations for his own sake and his clients.

Reply to
ben

The regs don't ban sockets on skirting boards. They require them to be positioned such that flex entry to the plugs isn't strained, which would rule out fitting on some skirting boards (unless installed upside down;-).

Part M has guidelines on socket positioning for access by disabled people, and that wouldn't like such positioning very much. However, it applies only to new buildings and modifications to buildings already conforming with Part M, so it does not apply in your case. This might be what one of your electricians was mistakenly thinking of though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Bear in mind, that Converta sockets are fused at 13A for the total loading of all three sockets. A conventional double will allow 26A total loading.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Other than looking a bit odd, would this be allowed!?

Reply to
Sparks

You sure about that? A while ago I temporarily converted a single to a double (when I redecorated I sunk it properly) with something that was a plastic box with a metal backplate. It screwed onto the box in place of the single socket, then you wired a double into it.

Aren't Convertas just like that - a frame to allow you to put a 2 or 3 surface mounted over a single flush box?

Reply to
Nick Atty

If I've understood what your electricians proposed correctly, then, no. Converta sockets fit directly into the existing wall box and are available as 2 way and 3 way but have their own 13A fuses, the same as a good 4 x 13A extension block. See Toolstation 89978.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol