Quick plumbing question

I have a normal two story 1980's house with a conventional hot water setup, hot water header tank in the loft, hot water cylinder (cistern?) in an airing cupboard on the 1st floor.

I have recently bought a 'Trevi Boost' venturi shower valve which demands its own feed from the hot water tank, and I am wondering whether I can simply put a Surrey Flange on top of my HW cylinder and then go up into the loft, across the top of the joists (below the level of the header tank) and then down into the bathroom. Would that work? I guess I could do a test with some hose, but I thought I'd check here before I do something rash.

Its just that I'm don't want to go through the hassle of lifting floor boards and notching joists. Chipboard floors are a PITA.

Thanks in advance

RJ.

Reply to
TheTaffia

I don't see why not, although it will be harder to fill and remove airlocks.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I had thought of this, and was considering fitting a double check valve just before it goes up into the loft, since I will have to have one on both supplies to the shower anyway (or maybe its just the mains cold). Would that work? Or would I end up flooding somewhere and enduring weeks of nasty looks from 'her in-doors'?

Reply to
TheTaffia

What is more useful is a bleeding valve at the top of the loop, preferably before any check valves, as the gravity flow may not be enough to operate the check valve. Indeed, I would probably attempt to avoid any check valve at all in the gravity line. It already has an air break (the cold supply tank) which should meet water regs as a one way valve. You do need one in the cold supply line.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Drop the check valve. Have the pipe 22mm all the way. Have an air bleed at the highest point in the loft. Use only bends and no elbows Use a Surrey type of flange

That will do it

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thanks for the suggestions all.

I will update you when I have a pipe run in place and (hopefully) working.

Reply to
TheTaffia

I did the work over the weekend, I now have a very good flow of HW to the bathroom via a new 22mm pipe run through the loft. Don't know the l/min figures, but it seems pretty good to me. I had a bit of a struggle getting the Surrey Flange in, as the gate valve on the supply from the header tank to the cylinder was stuck open, and so I had to part fill the header tank every time I wanted to check if the Surrey Flange was leaking. Which was about 5 times as it took a long time to get all the joints to stop weeping. I will have to get a new gate valve and replace it next time I have to drain down. I also had to clean out the ball valve on the header tank as it was filling very slowly, I had been meaning to do it for ages.

Overall I think the most fun part was drilling a hole through to the extension (through what was an exterior wall) using a normal B&D hammer drill and a 20mm bit. I think I've shaken some fillings out. Now all I have to do is build a stud wall to make up the third side of the shower enclosure, fit the shower tray, tile the floor, tile the walls, fit the shower door, fit a new toilet and sink, fit some decent lighting, a fan, and then paint. Joy!

Reply to
TheTaffia