Consumer Unit

Hi

Thinking of getting an electrician in to change my consumer box to something which is cosmetically more pleasing as the current box is on full display in the lounge (why weren't these boxed in when they built the property?).

We have economy 7 heating so there are currently 2 consumer units on the wall. Does anyone know if you can get one box which can house both your normal consumer unit and your economy 7? Also, what makes are good for having a neat discrete design that don't need to be boxed in?

Thanks Matt

Reply to
tamtb

Consumer units:

think the MK is the only one with an opaque front panel, and whilst I'm sure the electricals are high quality, I found the plastic case rather thin and bought the Wylex instead.

AFAIK if you have old fashioned storage heaters that need to be switched over on a timeclock you will need 2 CU's. Otherwise you can have all your circuits permanently energised and in one CU, but charged on the 2 different traiffs depending on time of usage.

Reply to
dom

It seems a strange place to site a CU - but then if you don't like seeing it it's not a big deal to build a cupboard round it.

In a lounge? None.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 11 Aug 2006 13:49:22 -0700 someone who may be "tamtb" wrote this:-

Could you not box them in now?

Are there large cables on the surface? Where is the meter?

How many ways do the existing units have? Is the current unit a split load one? If it is not then a unit for what you want could be assembled out of one intended for split loads, with the RCD replaced by a switch.

If the current unit is a split load one or there are lots of ways then you would probably need to assemble something out of units intended for small scale commercial or industrial use, which tend not to be styled in the same way. An alternative would be to link two of the domestic style units.

The Memera 200 AD

is one that might fit that criteria, if there are no cables on the surface.

Reply to
David Hansen

The MK Sentry range might be suitable. You can download the range brochure here

the multi-incomer kit which enables construction of a separate section for E7 heating. You would need one of the larger units with three neutral bars to be able to combine a split-load 24 hr board and separate 7 hr board in one unit.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Crabtree also do dual tarrif CUs

circuit protection download.)

I still think changing the two fuse boxes for one CU may still look ugly in a lounge. I would still box the new CU in.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But crabtree look horrible, I would go for either MEM Mememra 2000AD range or MK Sentry.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

Beauty must be in the eye of the beholder. I actually chose Crabtree for a CU. I've not wired up thousands of CUs, but also prefer it from that point of view over MK.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

CUs are like women. They come in different colours, shapes and sizes will empty your wallet if you change it for a newer model. It does not matter which one you choose

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And you get a nasty nip if you put your fingers where you shouldn't.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from Owain contains these words:

Eeek! Vagina dentata.

Reply to
Guy King

Crabtree are the only one that lets you slip in without a screw!

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth