Conservatory fans/lights

We are getting a new conservatory and SWMBO is looking at the fan/light combos. Seems there are cheaper ones at ~ £50 or more expensive like Fantasia ones at ~ £200.

Anyone know of any particular reasons to buy one over the other? Like better motors or greater reliability? SWMBO's been looking for technical assessments without luck (she's better at Google than I am).

Reply to
Tim Streater

What size of fan?

Reply to
Capitol

Cheaper ones are more like £25. Mount them on tapwashers, balance & level the blades & they're fine.

You can cut your own fancy blades if you want, if so err on the side of und erloading. Even numbers of blades permit use of more than 1 blade shape per fan.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have a Fantasia Tau fan:

Mine came with a remote control from here:

It has been running in a conservatory for about 15 months. Why choose it over a standard fan? At low speeds, it is very efficient and consumes a lot less electricity than a standard fan. But mainly it's because I've had a couple of standard AC ceiling fans and both were incredibly noisy. Those AC motors hum even at the lowest speed, and that is the main reason I can't stand them (for what i's worth, when I've stayed in hotels with AC fans they also hummed). I also don't like the design; why do nearly all of them seem to look like they need to be in a colonial mid-30s American house? The Fantasia is absolutely silent - only at the highest speed do you get wind noise, but that's as it should be. I tend to use it at speed 2 most of the time, but now and again use a higher speed. Sometimes I use it in reverse if I don't want a "draught". I thought the remote might be a bit of a gimmick, but it has been quite useful. The fan has been completely reliable.

The LED light is bright, but a bit harsh (cool white).

One minor operational issue. The fan causes quite a bit of RFI on the medium wave, which I've more-or-less dealt with by fitting a filter where the mains supply enters the fan body.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

You could do away with the fan and fit an air con unit for £200

Reply to
ARW

Thanks for that. Food for thought.

Reply to