Concreting rounds pipes - ok ?

Can you concrete around the rising main pipe or should it be wrapped in tape or such first ?

And is it ok to use compression joints to add a length of pipe before the main reaches the stopcock?

Many thanks for any help.

Francis

Reply to
Francis

In article , Francis writes

Simpler to use expanding foam (fire rated is necessary).

Mine is, but I'd be as wary if I was doing it myself.

The only times I've had leaks (twice) was with compression joints. If they get belted they're much more likely to leak than soldered, and if you have a leaking one before the stopcock it could be somewhat of a pain. I actively dislike using compression joints now- my soldering's not wonderful but it's evidently adequate, and it's cheaper and more reliable in the long term.

I think the only times I use compression joints now are for flexible connections to things like taps and when using valves and such that have them on.

Reply to
Craig Graham

Get some Denso tape from your plumbers merchants. Oh and some latex gloves, it is petroleum based and takes forever to get off you hands otherwise.

Reply to
SpeedyC

Don't know about the tape, but why not put the stopcock where you plan to put the compression joint? If you need a more convenient stopcock just put another one further on.

Be sure to buy good quality for the stopcock(s) - cheap ones here will come back to haunt you in years to come.

Rob

Reply to
Kalico

[T] Not sure exactly what you are aiming to do but when we put an extension on the back of our 1897 terraced house (we are on the end so 'semi terraced' ) it was going to build over the old (steel barrel) communial water main. So, while we had the groundworks open they ran me a new feed from the newish (plastic) main and I threadded it through some 1 1/2" plastic waste pipe (from the boundary to just under where the pipe would enter under the kitchen) and concreted over that. At the same time the water board ran another new feed outside my footings and hooked up with the old main for the other 7 houses in the block (on the boundary). They had a leak along the old communial pipe recently and 'they' asked me for my cut of the repair bill .. ;-)
[T] Won't the 'main' be run in plastic?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

The kitchen has a concrete floor over a void around 4ft - 5 ft deep. The risng main appears to be copper to the stopcock. However, the whole lot seems to be supported by a soldered capillary joint a bit past the stopcock. There are now clips or brackets holding it to the wall. There is a gap of 1 to 2 inches around the pipe where it comes through the concrete. The position of the stopcock also seems to be bang in line with the bottom ledge of new cabinets I am putting in.

Nope - it appears to be copper. Thanks for the tips.

Regards,

Francis

Reply to
Francis