Compulsory water metering

So don't shop at supemarkets. We don't.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Which is an inevitable consequence of nationalisation.

That's overstating it a little. In order to stay alive you do need water to drink, but you don't have to buy it from the supplier that delivers it to the taps.

Everything else is a matter of convenience; although granted it would be more than a little inconvenient to have to go to a public toilet in the middle of the night.

Reply to
Andy Hall

|> [1] water is essential for life, it is also essential for health, | |So is food. | |> it |> should not be and should never have been allowed to be a profit |> making business. | |So don't shop at supemarkets. We don't.

Mary has already admitted to visiting Waitrose.

How the other half lives ;-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Home Rule for Yorkshire!

Reply to
Mary Fisher

An earth closet is far superior to a water closet anyway.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What do they do when they install a meter? What happens to the water company stop c*ck?

Reply to
Michael Chare

We were like that at work, we had two meters, one for what came in, and another for what went out to the farm behind. Our bill was for the difference.

Reply to
<me9

It does permit houses to be built though. There are a number of things that could be required for new developments that could cut water use.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

and does it reduce pressure or flow?

Reply to
marble

Good.

Over the twelve years since I installed our meter we have saved £2370 which is over 53% of what the bill would have been if we had paid old style 'water rates'. For 75% of that time the household consisted of self, wife and two daughters. The latter 25% has been mainly self and wife.

I should add that throughout the time the washing machine has been used until it has been exhausted, the dishwasher hasn't had much of a rest and the garden plants have not been left to become thirsty.

Were you given some kind of estimate beforehand? We were offered a free meter some years ago, and the estimated bill (2 adults, 2 children) was between 20% and 50% more than we were paying unmetered. That was not including any allowance for garden watering, and we had a washing machine but not a dishwasher. We declined.

Reply to
Joe

Matt wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Trouble is, all the northerners, (and Scotch, and Welsh, and Irish, and pikeys, and asylum seekers, and organised criminals from all points South and East) are here in the south of England

mike

Reply to
mike

The message from Pete C contains these words:

About bloody time. My mother lives in Kent and will happily water her garden with a hose till the cows come home even when the water board are telling her not to. This might make her plant a bit more sensibly.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from snipped-for-privacy@stuff.com (Sponix) contains these words:

The government doesn't build houses.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Ian Stirling contains these words:

Usually over the heads of the local planning officer on appeal.

Reply to
Guy King

I haven't got any spare spending money now. I went to the dentist today.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It only applies to a small part of Kent. There are two other, bigger, water companies and one of them has gone on record as sayin 'not for a while yet'. The small company that has done this has relatively few customers.

Reply to
Bob Eager

..under Tory governments? ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

Err, no.

Err, no.

Err, no.

However it was run down during a nationalised period.

McDonalds, B&Q, BA and all the other industries. All of whom have to charge what is required to modernise.

I live in an area where the water company has been private for the last century and doesn't suffer from any water shortages, or supply difficulties and its one of the cheapest. Just goes to show that nationalisation doesn't equal competence or value for money.

Reply to
dennis

Oh it's ok, you can keep them :)

Reply to