Compressor Installation Comments

We have a compressor mounted on top of it's own receiver. The compressor itself consists of two single phase compressors feeding into a receiver. The single compressors operate on a duty/assist/standby mode of operation. Problem, the compressors are undersized for the duty and are pretty much flogged out. We are considering installing a third larger compressor and plumbing it into the same air receiver. The larger compressor will then become the duty unit. The smaller ones will remain in situ but switched off. These would be used as a back up should the large compressor fail. I am also considering electrically interlocking the larger unit with the smaller unit, so that the large compressor can only be run when the small compressors are off. Does anyone envisage any problems with operating the compressors this way, and having three compressors into the same receiver. TIA

The
into
unit.
Nope, sounds all ok to me! Are we talking single / 3 phase units?? I would suggest you go for a low revving belt drive unit with unloader valve and star delta starter (assuming 3 phase) for minimal surge during start up.
Have a think about the CFM of the proposed larger unit , and the size of your existing receiver- it may be that you ought to install another receiver in parallel if your planning on going with a "huge totally OTT" compressor, else it will be cycling too often, which really reduces the life of the start capacitors...
Tim..
Tim..
Existing receiver has two single phase units mounted on top. They operate duty/assist/standby. They will only be required as standby when we install the new compressor. The new one is three phase, star/delta start and is a screw compressor. Is there any problem with having different types of compressor on the same air receiver, eg. screw, piston, vane. There will be no air isolation between the receiver and the existing compressors, only electrical isolation. In effect we will be pressurising the receiver and the high pressure air end of the existing compressors from the new compressor.

used
small
way,
receiver