Compressor Installation Comments

We have a compressor mounted on top of it's own receiver. The compressor itself consists of two single phase compressors feeding into a receiver. The single compressors operate on a duty/assist/standby mode of operation. Problem, the compressors are undersized for the duty and are pretty much flogged out. We are considering installing a third larger compressor and plumbing it into the same air receiver. The larger compressor will then become the duty unit. The smaller ones will remain in situ but switched off. These would be used as a back up should the large compressor fail. I am also considering electrically interlocking the larger unit with the smaller unit, so that the large compressor can only be run when the small compressors are off. Does anyone envisage any problems with operating the compressors this way, and having three compressors into the same receiver. TIA

Reply to
BIGEYE

Nope, sounds all ok to me! Are we talking single / 3 phase units?? I would suggest you go for a low revving belt drive unit with unloader valve and star delta starter (assuming 3 phase) for minimal surge during start up.

Have a think about the CFM of the proposed larger unit , and the size of your existing receiver- it may be that you ought to install another receiver in parallel if your planning on going with a "huge totally OTT" compressor, else it will be cycling too often, which really reduces the life of the start capacitors...

Tim..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.