Completely off topic: Google StreetView

Yes, right click on "Link" at top-right (then put it through TinyURL !).

Reply to
Bob Martin

My village is on it (and most people I've told where I live haven't heard of it - and that's in neighbouring towns). My 'new' shed is on at last (~15 months later) but there are v. old mistakes: bus stops in the village that haven't been there for >45 years, for instance. There's a small charity shown, but it's placed in the middle of the village about 300m away and it's within chatting distance of my house. The problem with such errors is that people get lost but have no way of checking without asking around. In my village, that could take a long time as the roads are often deserted.

Reply to
PeterC

How would a bus stop, that's not been there for more than 45 years, appear on an image taken within the last few months ? I think this needs further investigation. ;-)

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

(Do they still close University Rd. once a year to assert the lack of right of way?)

Reply to
Huge

That's one thing that varies. The new footage is taken over months, so some places are in leaf and others not.

Reply to
Huge

Duh. Oh yes. Thanks!

Reply to
Lobster

At the house I moved out of a year ago, they seem to have changed the upstairs windows. Does that count?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Huge wibbled on Friday 12 March 2010 09:36

They did York Uni too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is it just me, or is the latest batch of imagery more prone to these mismatches than the last batch? Nearly every street I've looked at seems to have a crooked roof, or else a Tardis dematerialising halfway through a parked car.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Is it just me, or is the latest batch of imagery more prone to these mismatches than the last batch? Nearly every street I've looked at seems to have a crooked roof, or else a Tardis dematerialising halfway through a parked car.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Perhaps the first batch of imagery got more attention at the editing stage. The amount of imagery has now increased very dramatically and there probably hasn't been anything like the amount of editing done that would be needed to bring it to the same standard.

I was apprehensive about having my home included on StreetView but I must admit I am delighted with the result. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Yes, I've heard some surprising allegations about Google StreetView, but that one takes the biscuit. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

It could appear on the mapping / street overlay even if not the picture... (the top down view, rather than the street view especially)

Reply to
John Rumm

I assume Peter has only got as far as the maps, where I notice there are some amazing blunders around me. Luton Airport is embedded into Cambridge Airport, the Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory has moved to Girton (nearly ousting the church, which has had to be moved to the Rectory) and North East Cambridge appears to have slipped considerably and ended up at Kingston (I've no idea what "North East Cambridge" is supposed to represent; unlike "North West Cambridge" it's not a recognised planning term).

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

Nearest they show to me is the main road 2km away (France) but my flatand car in Lancs are quite clear

John

Reply to
JTM

Actually, that bit isn't private property, it's Giles Lane which although cuts through campus isn't owned by the Uni AFAIK.

University Rd however is private, and they did that. No idea if they got permission - I've not heard they did and I'd be surprised. They haven't done Parkwood though.

I think so - 8pm Christmas eve till 8pm Christmas day or something IIRC.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

I can't navigate up to Darwin, Eliot etc. either.

Looks like there's been a lot of building work down Giles Ln. in recent years - took me a while to get my bearings.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Can we start uk.d-i-y.ukc please? I think there are enough of us. (ex-Darwin)

Reply to
Paul Herber

That sort of thing could be really embarrassing...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I believe you're right.

(I'm a UKC alumnus, if you haven't guessed.)

Reply to
Huge