Combination Boiler Flue

I'd guess the figures are *very* misleading as they're most likely only to get involved in one where something had gone wrong.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The doc also says ('Analysis of responses') that the issue (whether to ban DIY gas work) was 'posted on a DIY internet web site'. No mention of certain newsgroups.

Wonder if there should be a statutory requirement for competence in using the internet for policymaking consultation? ;-)

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-|-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+ a town is never big enough to support one lawyer, but it can always support two

Reply to
John Stumbles

No, they're saying - as I read it - that if you visit 100 defective gas installations, 19 of them will have been done by registered installers. But (pulling figures out of the air) if

95% of the total are OK and 80% of the total are done by registered installers then out of 2000 installs you get

Total Not OK OK %OK Registered 1600 19 1581 98.8 Unregistered 400 81 319 79.8 Total 2000 100 1900 95.0

On these (purely guessed) figures 80% of unregistered installs would be OK.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Don't be so silly! I cannot imagine any government, let alone this one, introducing common sense into their law making attempts.

Far easier to justify their legislation by asking oneself the question "could this be related to increasing taxation?". If the answer is no, you've got a bit of a quandrary on your hands.....

PoP

PoP

Despite my FAQ which is pointed to from the main FAQ and by my sig.

... but you do need to be competent.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

It proabably means 81% of the installations they investigated but of course they don't investigate the ones which have alive and contented customers.

I think this is covered the beginner level abuse of statistics.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In message , Bob Smith writes

Which is not true - I have taken CORGI to task over this, in law it only says that you must be competent.

This is quite separate from working for reward

Reply to
geoff

In message , David Moodie writes

I've mentioned it before, but I'll repeat it again here. Of all the gas connections in my house, there is only one which was not sound. This was the one which was made by a BG fitter when they delivered and installed a cooker.

Reply to
geoff

In message , Dave Plowman writes

BTW, I sold a pcb to a fitter last week who phoned me to say there was a problem with the board (it was in fact the HT lead open circuit). He didn't even realise that the ignition spark should stop when the flame is sensed and the main valve comes on ... CORGI !

Reply to
geoff

In message , Bob Smith writes

It's called scaremongering, and it's just not true

Reply to
geoff

True. But that isn't defined anywhere AFAIK.

PoP

PoP

Especially if your boiler's flue has a plastic outer pipe!

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-|-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+ Thank God I'm an atheist

Reply to
John Stumbles

Oh come on. If someone posts a dubious comment it surely makes those of us who know what we are talking about feel that much better!

PoP

PoP

OK

Reply to
geoff

No, for professionals it means obtaining ACS exam passes.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Getting CORGI registration is about safety not about technical expertise although the subjects are inter-related to a certain extent.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I don't see how safety can even be an issue when someone doesn't have a clue what he's doing. This person is CORGI registered, but I know he really doesn't have a clue

Reply to
geoff

As usual, we're not talking professionals here, read the OP

Reply to
geoff

I forgot the smiley in my previous response :)

PoP

PoP

I'm interested in this comment - my ancient cast iron boiler is flued through the chimney in the middle of the house - with the terminal standing about 200mm above the top of the chimney (rough guess - I haven't been onto the roof to measure it). We often use the open fire during the winter - is this something I should be worried about?

Also, I'm planning to replace the boiler in the next year or two, and had imagined that we'd retain the same flueing arrangement (although with a new flue)- is this going to be a problem?

Regards

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones