Combination Boiler Flue

Page 2 of 3

Asking CORGI whether DIY gas work is allowed is a bit like getting one of those timber'n'damp "surveyors" to come round to your house to see whether you need you timber and/or damp treating.
Neil
snipped-for-privacy@the-joneses.org.uk (Neil Jones) wrote in message

HTH PHIL
snipped-for-privacy@the-joneses.org.uk (Neil Jones) wrote in message

HTH PHIL

says that you must be competent.
This is quite separate from working for reward
--
geoff

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:07:13 +0000 (UTC), "Bob Smith"

Not that silly rubbish again.
It is not illegal for somebody to work on a gas installation provided that they are competent and that they do not do so in the capacity of being an employee or self employed (i.e. for reward), as long as it is not in a property to be let.
Go and take a look at the Statutory Instrument
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1998/19982451.htm
Section 3.
We have had this discussion in this NG on countless occasions and the law does not support the notion that DIY gas fitting, competently done is illegal.
Even CORGI, who are in effect a trade association empowered by the HSE as a pseudo-regulator do not specifically say that it is.
You could also look at the Gas Safety Committee work on the HSE web site.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

So what's this all about then?
http://www.corgi-gas-safety.com/section_gas_law/your_rights_dont_diy.asp
"Unregistered installers and DIYers are not only breaking the law but can also put yourself, your friends and your family at risk. "
Bob Smith wrote:

You have to read the whole page, not just pick out ambiguous statements.
"That's why, by law, all installation businesses carrying out gas work for you must be registered with CORGI. "
The law pertains to installation businesses, installation being carried out for reward. Not DIY.
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:33:40 +0000 (UTC), "Bob Smith"

unregistered installers, working for gain are breaking the law.
The Statutory Instrument does not support their position regarding DIY work, and neither does the HSE. Until their web site was revamped, they used words like "possibly illegal" regarding DIY work.
CORGI is a trade association paid for by its members, not from public funds, so there is an inherent conflict of interest. If they want to discourage the incompetent from doing DIY gas fitting by making statements that DIY work *is* illegal, then that is a matter for them. However, their position is not supported in statute or in practice by the HSE.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

It's called scaremongering, and it's just not true
--
geoff

and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph."
Is CORGI registration a way of becoming a "member of the class of persons"?
Bob
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:39:59 +0000 (UTC), "Bob Smith"

self certification schemes being set up under the auspices of the ODPM are a crock.
There is no competition, no regulation and the costs are ultimately borne by the consumer.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:07:13 +0000 (UTC), "Bob Smith"

This comes up on this newsgroup so many times.
It is not illegal for a non-CORGI registered person to work on a gas appliance. The regulations refer to "competent person", not "CORGI registered".
If you are selling services involving fitting gas appliances you are required to be CORGI registered. If you are an enthusiastic DIYer you do not need to be CORGI registered.
PoP
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:26:33 +0000, PoP wrote:

Despite my FAQ which is pointed to from the main FAQ and by my sig.

... but you do need to be competent.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:39:29 +0000, "Ed Sirett"

True. But that isn't defined anywhere AFAIK.
PoP
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:00:29 +0000, PoP wrote:

No, for professionals it means obtaining ACS exam passes.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

geoff

Oh come on. If someone posts a dubious comment it surely makes those of us who know what we are talking about feel that much better!
PoP

<smugmode> OK </smugmode>
--
geoff

I forgot the smiley in my previous response :)
PoP

boiler and meets all the other requirements about nearby windows and things
--
Tim Mitchell