Combies , corgo gas fitters, rads and stuff

Dear all

Hopefully these questions are not too stupid. Recently my back boiler failed for the second time in two months. The company that originally repaired the back boiler said the part was under warranty but I would still be charged for labour, even though the bit they fitted had failed!!!! I found this totally unfair, hence I have decided that I will replace the system instead. I know this will cost me more in the short term but I was planning on the replacement in the next two years, and so now seems as good a time as ever.

I am planning on replacing all the single rads in the house, some have fins some don?t, and two are starting to rust. To be perfectly honest I have been looking for a reason to replace them with higher powered double convection rads for a while. I am also looking for a seven day timer.

I have had a number of Corgi register gas fitters round to my house, I am happy to do most things my self, but the tight regulation on the gas industry worry me slightly.

I have asked each the gas fitters for the minimum costs, I am happy to reroute the water, heating and electric, just leave the gas to them. I basically want to keep the labour costs to a minimum.

I live in a standard 1960s 3 bed semi detached and have been recommended two main models of combi boiler the Baxi 105E and the Baxi 130HE. Has any one heard good or bad things about either of these? I am a little confused about which one to select. I know the 130HE has 16L of hot water a minute compared to 12, and it also seems the 130HE is the high efficiency condensing boiler. Exactly what are the advantages of a condensing boiler? If it worth the considerable extra cost? Which one should I select and on what grounds?

Most of the gas fitters would fit the boiler in the kitchen as requested, how ever one of the fitters is suggested a loft installation which sound a good idea especially as the old back boiler pipes are easily accessible as they seem use a compartment in or next to the chimney (not sure which).

Any comments about loft installation of boilers?

Lastly I am going to replace the radiators my self, any comments on the screwfix double convection rads , with the pegler thermostatic vales

I really appreciate your expert opinions

Andrew

PS Why are the gas fitters quotes never broken down in to parts and labour!!! This is just annoying. I have had to specifically ask for the quotes to be broken down.

Reply to
Andrew Welham

About 75% + of your questions are answered in one or more of the FAQs

Baxi would be a middling low boiler in the market spectrum.

Loft installations done correctly are not as attractive as they might first appear. (Loft ladder, boarding, guards, remote isolation...).

If you are so keen to get a broken down quote why not ask for a time and materials quote? Most fitters (despite the media attention to a small minority) are not exceptionally dishonest. This means that they are not going to spin the job out but they won't be under pressure to cut corners, either.

People who ask for broken down quotes are usually the ones who then want to start quibbling IME, the OP excepted of course. Are you familiar with a BG or a Servowarm quotation for this work?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Ed can you point me to the FAQs in question pleases they are certainly not on the UK-DIY FAQ. I meet all the criteria for the loft installation, the loft is boarded, lit, and I will fit the required guard rail round the door.

What is remote isolation? Are you suggesting this is not a good idea?

As for me wanting a broken down quote, I don?t see anything wrong with that at all. After all you seem to get them most other areas in life

Reply to
Andrew Welham

IME experience people who want a broken down quote are looking to unbolt part of the job. That's fine with me. If they want me to do only some part of the job then they should ask up front for that and and I will quote accordingly.

In some cases they just want to check that they are not paying for a mark-up on materials they (imagine) can be obtained cheaper. In fact I'm happy to do a fit only service as it helps to keep the turnover comfortably below the compulsory VAT registration threshold.

In other cases they want to find out how much the labour component is so that they can quibble - in which case if they complain I just say I'll match any other _registered_ fitters quote.

The gas fitting and sealed CH FAQs are as in the sig. The Main FAQ is also given in the sig and there is a large section on plumbing and heating including discussion of Combi v. HW cylinder v. Mains unvented. Also condensing v. non-condensing.

By the book loft boiler installations should have a means of isolating gas/water and electricity to the boiler from outside of the loft. Not a big deal but it all adds to the kitchen v. loft debate.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Just for the record. I have explained carefully to all he gas fitters i talked to exactly what i want, and that i will do most of the work. If it were not for the additional dangers/regulation of gas i would attempt the work my self.

Reply to
Andrew Welham