OT: What to look for in a good conservatory?

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I couldn't think of anywhere else to post.

My wife and I have been considering having a conservatory built onto our house for the last couple of years and have at long last decided to go ahead and take the plunge. I have done some research and would be grateful if some kind person could clarify the following points:-

What is considered to be good double glazing, i.e. vacuum or inert gas? Also what is the optimum spacing, 28mm? Are welded frames better than mechanically joined? Is internally beaded the best and most secure? What should I be looking for in a good secure window and door locking system, i.e. how many points and is a claw lock the best? How many layers and what layer spacing is optimum for a polycarb roof? Do trickle vents above opening widows make any real difference or are they just a "nice to have" feature

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

- Clive

Reply to
Clive

Vacuum is not used in any commercial glazing. The force over a typical window would be several tonnes.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Vacuum isn't used. A good choice is argon filled, low emissivity glass.

Normally it is rather less than that.

Don't use a polycarbonate roof if you want to use the conservatory when it's raining. It will be very noisy. Glass is a much better solution and easy to clean. Plastic looks murky after a while.

They are a good idea because ventilation is important to avoid condensation. On new house windows they are standard.

Shop around.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The single commonest complaint about conservatories is leaks. Look for a good roofing seal system and a very good seal to the house that allows movement without opening gaps. Walk away from anyone using self-adhesive lead flashing.

Reply to
Huge