Combi system and additives

Hi all. Well I finally had the combi switched on. But the corgi guy did nothing about flushing or adding additives, fermox/inhibitor ..I'm speculating here.

Can I hire a power flusher..and how is it done?

How is inhibitor added?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

If the system is not heavily sludged then you can do it using the filling loop and a suitable drain point - basically running mains cold water through the system and out of a drain point (on a return pipe hopefully). Do the same trick with the rads, opening just one, let it rinse, open the next then close the first. Repeat until done.

For an alternative solution google for Andy Hall's method of removing each rad in turn and flushing it...

Reply to
John Rumm

Get him back to add the stuff.

Power flushing is a quick way to clear out the crap. It can also leave leaks. Avoid.

- Firstly install an in-line strainer on the return to the boiler. This catches crap that may end up lodged in the boiler.

- Then use "Fernox" flushing agent. Leave in to the maximum they state.

- Make sure it has been heated quite a bit too.

- Then flush out the system 2 or 3 times. That will loosen all of the crap.

- Empty the in-line filter of any crap.

- Then fill with a good quality inhibitor and replace every 4 years.

That takes time which they are not prepared to do. They "might", but will heavily charge you. A Powerflush is about £600.

You can easily do it yourself on a DIY basis and save a fortune. Don't Powerflush.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel