Clearing a pump

Hi all,

I've been scanning through this group looking for some help, but all to no avail, so here goes....

In my flat there is a small bathroom with shower and toilet outflows connected to a Saniflo. Let's not get into the whys and wherefores; suffice it to say that I know just how cr@p they are... Anyway, there is clearly a blockage - the toilet is now backed up, and turning on the pump (at the fuse) sets it going non-stop, whilst not actually removing anything.

After doing some research (OK, reading some posts) I bought some caustic soda, mixed up half a pot and put it down in two batches. So far, so uneventful.

So what now? I'm reluctant to take it out partly because a) the filth and b) there'd have to be something to replace it... I'm also not keen on putting sulphuric acid down there, which seems to be next choice, as there's concentrated sodium hydroxide down there- the reaction could be messy. Help!

Thanks Nick

Reply to
NickD

Set up a webcam and let us all watch :-)

Reply to
Matt

Depending on where the blockage is, caustic soda may not help. If it can't get to the site of the blockage, or is diluted by the other "liquid" en-route, it isn't going to do much.

I don't know much about Saniflows but, I assume, they have some sort of "tank" the fills, a sensor detects this and turns on the pump. When the tank empties, the pump is turned off. If the inlet or outlet of the pump is blocked, it will run forever. Caustic etc may work very slowly if there is a "trickle" of flow but I'd not count on it.

I'm afraid you may have to boldly venture into the slime. Or get someone else to do it ;-)

Reply to
Brian Reay

Whatever you do, DON'T put concentrated sulphuric acid in as

1) it generates considerable heat when mixed with water - the mixture must be stirred otherwise local boiling which will result in spitting will occur

2) any reaction with sodum hudroxice will again generate considerable heat with unpredictable results.

From what I have read in this NG you are at the smelly and unpleasant end of someones cost cutting - bit the bullet, preferably waring a respirator and industrial strength pvc gauntlets. Best of luck

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Never used a Saniflo but at least it sounds like the blockage is before the pump and you'd be better pulling it rather than pushing it further towards the pump. If the water level drops eventually, it may just be in the trap. I'd say get your hand down there if it weren't for the caustic, although actually it's pretty slow acting stuff. As long as you get your hand/arm under a running tap within a couple of minutes, you'd be okay. Sorry, not very helpful, but our thoughts are with you.....

Reply to
Stuart Noble

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "NickD" saying something like:

No idea, do be sure to tell us how you got on. Should be funny.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Use a wet and dry to empty out the toilet pan. Then take the lid off the saniflow and empty that. Then you need to establish if the outlet pipe is solidly blocked. Can you get at the discharge end of the small bore? Can you poke at the input of the outlet from the saniflow, if you see what I meam? My bet is that something solid is blocking the pump outlet.

Reply to
Newshound

If you do the latter, *make sure* you've told them that there's caustic in the system.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It might be an idea to pour a lot of vinegar into the pump. Not to do anything to the blockage, but to neutralize the caustic. And the vinegar won't do anything nearly as nasty to skin as caustic.

Vinegar's also recommended as a neutralizing wash for a particularly effective oven cleaner I have, and it does immediately remove the slick soapy feel of a splash of caustic eating skin. Might be good to have some on hand just in case.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

But how much vinegar would it take to neutralise half a tub of caustic? Several gallons I would think

Reply to
Stuart Noble